klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Adoption shower ?

This is for any, been there, done that parents Our church is having an adoption shower for a family who just brought their three year old son home from Guatemala. So, what would you recommend I bring? It's easier for a baby, because the parents don't buy a lot before the showers, but this little one is already home. I was thinking about a toy or two. Hmm, maybe one of the Leap Start toys with the English/Spanish language switches? And maybe clothes? What did you find indispensible that you never would have thought about?
    -Kris

Default RE: Adoption shower ?

Ours were adopted as newborns, we have friends who've adopted domestically and internationally, but mostly infants. So, can't claim to exactly be btdt, but you already have some good ideas.

Other thoughts would be books and music. Also, trains, blocks, balls, wagon, wading pool, snow shovel and rake, toy lawn mower, trike (maybe a joint gift idea?), anything all little guys like at this age. If you're open to DVDs you might consider Handy Manny and Diego (Dora's cousin) since they have both Spanish and English. My three year old DS loves both of these guys. :)

Has anyone asked the family for ideas or whether they will register at a store like Toys R Us, Buy Buy Baby, etc?

It's really wonderful that you all are welcoming and embracing this little guy and his family in this way! The event itself with all of your smiling faces will mean so much to all of them!! :)

Default RE: Adoption shower ?

Ooo! One more idea. Coupon for a family portrait sitting. They might like to have this in time for Christmas cards too.