p_inzaghi Guest

Default Dove soap on infants?

My pediatrician suggested we use Dove soap for sensitve skin on my five-month old because his skin is very dry. I am uncertain about using adult soap on a baby.

Has anyone heard of doing this, or has done it?

Thank you!

Leslie

Kieransmom Guest

Default RE: Dove soap on infants?

We did. It works great. It's the mildest soap out there. Or at least one of the mildest. My son had severe eczema and we've been using it ever since.

Michelle
    Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

BME Guest

During my birthing classes at the hospital, the instructor reviewed bathing tips. Besides the common Johnson & Johnson baby products, she said Dove soap would be the best for babies. It works for you and seems to be highly recommended by baby experts, so I'd say keep using it!

lums123 Guest

Absolutely, Dove is great. My son had horrible eczema, and it was part of the solution. I would personally use the unscented Dove, not Dove white or Dove for sensitive skin. I've heard of many people being sensitive to the fragrance in Dove white, who had no problems with unscented Dove. Dove for sensitive skin is a newer product, if I'm not mistaken, and has oils in it that the other Dove products don't -- it's probably fine, but unscented is tried and true. Perhaps you could start with unscented, and if that's okay, then try the sensitive skin.

If you look in all the baby books, like What to Expect, they all recommend Dove. I'm not sure what classifies it as an "adult" soap -- I'm sure anyone advertising a special baby product has no special legal claim, as even "hypoallergenic" is a totally nonregulated term and has no legal significance.
    Anne

We use it on a daily basis! It makes life much easier since we shower together now I don't have to worry about a separate soap for Ryan. We did use Aveeno in the winter when I was worried about his skin getting dry.
    Mom to R and R