Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    StaceyKim Guest

Default Did you do cord blood banking?

Didn't do it the first time but I am doing this time around.
    Just curious what others have done...

JenCA Guest

Default RE: Did you do cord blood banking?

I did not do it with my DD and do not plan to do it with any future children.

Stace-

We thought long and hard about doing it and also discussed it at length with both our genetic counselor and OB.

We decided the donate the cord blood because the likelihood of us needing versus a child that was already ill was significantly lower. It's also not cheap thing to do over the long term. The hospital that I delivered Sophie at (and will deliver at again) happens to have a cord blood bank. It might be worth looking into at your hospital.

I would hate to be at the mercy of another family for a match. It was the least that we could do.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We did it with Colin for very specific reasons (risk factors), not just on general principles, and are glad that we did. With #2, we may bank or we may donate, I'm not sure yet. But we definitely won't throw the blood away - it is way too valuable to someone!!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

barbarhow Guest

I voted yes but I need to qualify it. We were all signed up to do it and sent the package off but apparently they did not get enough blood. I think we would do it again. I don't know. I would check the literature before making the decision.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We considered it, but discovered that it was not yet an option at the hospital where we were delivering. I haven't asked about it yet this time.

We did it for the "Just in Case" factor... We think we got the best deal w/ New England Cord Blood Bank @ $1,300 for 20 years. We will donate next time but are happy w/ our decision to bank the first go around.

Jamie
    Mommy to Kayla
    May '03

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We debated it for a long time especially since our situation is such that it could possibly be useful. (very highly unlikely but slightly more than the average risk) We were really hung up on the cost and finally decided that if we didn't do this and we some day needed it we would never forgive ourselves. I definately felt like the ads were emotional blackmail but the whole what if factor really sucked me in. Plus, we actually know someone whose uncle was able to benefit from the cord blood of one of his grandchildren. Now that we did it for our first we will definately be doing it for future children.

A

DD1 02/04
    DD2 01/06
    and twin boys 05/09

We actually donated the cord blood to the Duke bank. We figured it would be awful to waste it. Other than an annoying blood draw and some paperwork, it was relatively easy.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

jubilee Guest

I wanted to donate my cord blood, but when I sent in the questionaire I was disqualified (I think because of being on high blood pressure meds). I was sad, because I think it's such an important thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast