Hi,

I have a 16 day old, my second child, and I am having the same breast-feeding problems I had with #1, inability to produce sufficient milk. Like last time, I have done everything under the sun to increase my milk supply- hired Lactation Consultant, renting/using hospital grade pump, using a supplementer (a device that requires one to TAPE tubes to their nipples while nursing. The tubes are attached to a bottle that provides formula while child is simultaneously nursing), downing Fenugreek at record pace, using ice and heat - and all to no avail.

I guess I am not surprised given my last experience, but terribly disappointed.

The real problem is I can not use the supplementer long term (it is too cumbersome and painful) and this baby does not seem able to handle a bottle. He gags and chokes. I have tried Advent, Johnson/Munchkin Healthflow and the Haberman Feed Tube. Nothing seems to work. He cries when I give him any kind of bottle and seems to be in such pain.

Also, in general, new baby is not taking much formula (about 50% of what his brother took at this stage, even though I do not believe I am producing any more breast milk given my pathetic pumping volumes - .5-1 oz per session from two breasts). At present he is eating about 1-1.5oz of formula per feeding and 9-10 oz per day. He falls asleep very quickly regardless of how I try to feed him, and regardless of who is feeding him, me or husband (when using bottle).

Questions:

1. Any suggestions regarding slow flow nipples/bottle systems?
2. Any ideas how to keep this child awake for feedings - I have tried diaper changes, cold clthes, tickeld feet, talking.

Sorry for the lengthy post.