natalie11 Guest

Default very gassy 2-month old

Just trying to get more opinion - my two month old has been bottle and breast fed from early on due to a variety of things (i.e. I breast feed, then suppliment with an ounce or two if she's still hungry). She seems SO gassy - squirmy during breastfeeding and passing a lot of forced gas; kicking up her knees a lot. We just switched from Similac to Enfamil yesterday so hoping for some results. We've tried Mylecon but I'm not convinced it was very helpful. She doesn't spit up much (we keep her elevated after a feeding - and also just put a wedge under her crib mattress); she's not constipated. Ped. says she'll grow out of it but I'd rather try to make her as comfortable as I can. Any thoughts or suggestions?

1stbaby Guest

Default RE: very gassy 2-month old

Hi,

I'm not an expert by any means, however, I do believe that whatever bottle you may be using may be the problem. Whenever giving her formula, try using a bottle which makes her swallow less air. I like using Playtex disposable system and my baby boy doesn't have gas problems so far. I also make sure he burps between feedings. I put him close to me, tummy to tummy, instead of tapping him. Good luck, hope this helps.

Michelle
    Mommy to Ethan Ross 6/18/04

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: very gassy 2-month old

DS was very gassy from about a week old until about 3 months - nothing helped enough to get it to completely stop, but some tips that seemed to give him some relief:

I would hold him in a little ball (fetal position, sort of, nice and snug) and alternately rub his belly and back. If we'd given him the gas drops first, this usually brought on a lot of farting and squirming, after which he'd fall asleep.

We gave him a pacifier, which I didn't want to do, but which gave him some comfort, I believe that sucking really does make babies feel good. Just be careful that you don't start giving the pacifier every time the baby makes a noise, or you'll be stuck with it forever.

Bicycling his legs when he was screaming seemed mean, but after a few minutes (that seemed like hours) he would settle down, too, especially in conjunction with the pacifier.

Hope these help - God knows a gassy baby isn't any fun!

Good Luck!

-Petra
    DS - Nathan 12/29/03