HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Few Questions about baby food for my 6 month old...

DS is going to be 6 months in a week and a half. He has been eating babyfood for the past 1.5 months--he was up to about 40 ounces of formula and the doc told us to start the baby food. Anyway, one question is how to make foods on my own. Do I just steam and mash foods up? How soupy do I need to make them and do I add any water to what I have mashed. We have been feeding DS food along with rice cereal from the beginning--never one food alone (on the advice of our doctor since DS has severe acid reflux).

My other question is about specific foods. DS threw up and pooped when we tried mangos and then bananas. I have not given him either of those since. he was fine with apples, carrots peaches and sweet potatoes. I assume the fruit is acidy and that is why he threw up. Anyway, are there other foods I should avoid?

Thanks,

Heather

danagee is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Few Questions about baby food for my 6 month old...

Yes, you just steam and mash things like apples, pears, squash, sweet potatoes, etc. Make them as thin/thick as you think he's able/ready to handle. I used either formula or the water that I steamed the veggies/fruit in (because the water could have some of the vitamins steamed off the fruit/veg) to thin it out.
    Just use the consistency of the food in the stage of the jars of babyfood that you're currently using as a guide.
    A decent book to use as a guide, as it has excellent pictures so you know exactly what the texture is of each food, is First Meals: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...741475-1808766.

As far as the reflux is concerned, I guess you'd want to ask the pediatrician what to avoid.

Regarding making your own baby food, try this website. Haven't actually used it yet, but will soon. www.wholesomebabyfood.com

Hope this helps!

Karin

alesha Guest

A very good book to reference is Super Baby Food. Overstock.com had the best price the last time I checked.

kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

mangoes and bananas are sometimes allergenic foods for some kiddos. maybe introduce them again later?

Kate
    mom to Christopher 12-09-03