Default How many days can baby go w/o a BM?

M hasn't had a BM for about 2 days now. She used to go every morning, but nothing has happened. I wonder if its because I let her tast cantelope in the past two days (not today). She didn't eat the cantelope just sucked on it a little. When should I try to do something about her getting to poop (ie using the thermometer).

It doesn't seem like she's uncomfortable and she has been farting a lot.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: How many days can baby go w/o a BM?

I've heard the occasional baby can go a week and have it be within the realm of "normal", as long as he's comfortable and not constipated. But when my DS went 11 and then another 7, let's just say it wasn't seeming normal to me!! For us, it coincided with starting solids, so maybe it's cantalope related? But as long as she seems comfortable, I wouldn't worry too much. DS eventually started getting more fussy and we had to use a suppository the first time, and used milk of mag. the second time. Thermometer trick didn't work, but those did.

HTH!

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

apple prune juice has worked for us. hth

We are now on day 7 with no poopy diapers - which I guess is a good thing. Did you have to get a prescription for the suppository? She's not fussy yet though. We tried the thermometer and nothing happened.

Sonia

nigele is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Tom used to go 7 days without pooping and he was fine. If she seems constipated, you can also try giving her in a warm bath. Good luck!

Hooray. She's finally pooped. Boo-hoo it was a really gross peanut-buttery consistency. Yuck.

Sonia

kfcboston is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Great! Nope, the suppositoies and milk of mag. are over the counter. Just beware of using suppositories with any frequency - apparently they could become too lazy to push!! :-)

kaceysean Guest

use the supositories after everything else dosent work apple juice pruns ( they have them for babys in a jar ) worked great for me prun juice thermometer with lots of vasilene and if nothing works then go with it my son is the worst with poop we are always doing something and hes 16 months
    good luck
    heather and sean