karolyp is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Help...my 6 week old has smelly gas!!!

Need Help! My six week old has really bad gas, and it is soo loud and STINKY! Her bowl movements have slowed down to once every other day, which the dr. says is ok, but now she has the gas problem. I'm thinking that the smelly gas probelm is due to the fact that her poops have slowed down....but I'm not sure. Anyhow, is there anything I can do to help ease the gas pains? BTW she is exclusively being breastfed.

Thanks!!

neya Guest

Default RE: Help...my 6 week old has smelly gas!!!

Hi:

I have a 3 month old daughter that had the same problem. She had bad gas and when I burped her after each feeding her breath was also stinky. Her bowel movements were very slow like your daughter one every other 2 or 3 days which the doctor also said it was normal. I tried to massage her belly when I changed her and also do the "bicycle" movement w/ her legs, which help release the gas. As for the smell.. uhhh, I tried to watch what I eat (still do - I am also breastfeeding). I don't eat cabbage, brussel sprouts, beans, broccoli, radish etc.. things that might give her gas. Each child is different, I never knew radish could give us gas till I had it for dinner some weeks ago, it sounded like a 4th of July fireworks in our house. My daughter never had gas to the point of being fussy and crying for longs periods of time, it she has gas she kicks her little legs and go for it. Now for the bowel movements, she goes believe or not ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK!!! She has been like that since we left the hospital, the doctor said that her body absovers milk real fast and don't give it a chance to produce the mass/poop. So, I have given her 1 once of prune juice and water to help her go, (per dr's recommendation). She still goes every 3 days or so. Technically she is not constipated, her system is just slow. So, I hope the massage, bicycle movements helps your little one, oh! we also used to hold her belly down in our arms, w/ our hands underneath her belly, she like that position and it gave her some relief. Good luck!