Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    starrynight Guest

Default RE: How should I address dd's constipation issue?

If it is dairy, it will take longer than 1 week to fix the issue. My dd had constipation issues due to dairy and it took 2 weeks of removing all dairy, even traces for it to show some improvement and about 3 weeks before the issue was fixed. Soy usually goes hand and hand with dairy, it did for my dd.

Magnesium will help. But becareful when giving it, if you give too much you end up with diarreah and in small kids you can mess up their potassium and calcium. Once daily should be plenty.

Not drinking enough doesn't help but if she eats that much fruit and veggies she should be getting some liquid that way. Try more water. Apple juice can make things worse, pear juice works better. Apple juice does work but it can cause gas and a bellyache is the last thing you need right now.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! You are all so smart and knowledgeable!

Interesting about the too much iron idea. I never thought of that! I looked at our soymilk and its 10% of the daily recommended amount. She only drinks about one serving a day, but we do lots of beans, and I think they may have iron as well.

I think I will just let her go wild with the watery fruits (I actually have had to limit in the past, as she would be happy just to eat fruit, and more fruit, and more fruit) and try some of the juice suggestions.

Robyn
    single mommy to my 3 yr old from Guatemala

Door is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default RE: Which pear or prune juice do you recommend?

My son has constipation also so I am very glad for this post and all your knowledge. I have tried prune juice (Trader's Joe) before and he didn't like it all. Is there any particular one that your children enjoy?

TIA,

Lily

Default RE: Which pear or prune juice do you recommend?

you could also try white grape juice. DD seemed to prefer it to other things. I use the gerber juices.

Is she potty trained or in the process? She could be holding it in, which is common during potty training.

When DD was holding her poop, we put some Benefiber in her milk (you can put it in anything - it's tasteless) to help her along. For a while she was really constipated and it hurt when she finally went. The pain made her scared to go again, so the holding continued. When we started giving her the Benefiber and she started having poops that didn't hurt she started doing better.

Just a thought since it doesn't sound like it is related to her diet.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hello,

She has been potty trained for way over a year, so that's not the issue, but a good guess!

I havent tried the prune juice yet, but I like someone's idea of putting a little prune juice into apple or pear juice.

Robyn
    single mommy to a 3 yr old from Guatemala

mamato1 Guest

OK I don't hink that the solution we used is probably as natural as you would like, but our ped recommended mineral oil. Pardon the pun, but it really did work to grease the skids.

Chris

Mama to Brendan, aka Boomer, my little peanut who is allergic to peanuts! 01/16/04

http://b3.lilypie.com/FnI6m5/.png

Hmmm, is she taking any new medication (particularly something like Benedryl)?

I sure hope you're able to find the cause, it's sad to see them uncomfortable.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2