zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default co-sleeping question

Our daughter usually sleeps between us at night, but how does co-sleeping work with just one parent? DH will be away for a few nights next week and now that Sarah has started to roll to her tummy I am not sure best how to keep her safe. Between us she sleeps on her back or side, but I've noticed that she will turn to her tummy if we are not both in the bed with her. She can roll from back to tummy, but cannot return to her back without help. I've heard that once they can roll both ways it may be okay to tummy sleep, but what about when she can't yet roll back? Also, should I set up some sort of safe barrier so she has something on the other side while her Dad is out of town? I guess I could put her in her crib for those nights, but in case she can't sleep well there, I'd like some other options. We didn't plan to co-sleep, so I haven't read much about it, but it worked best for her in the early days and we've stuck with it.

I would appreciate any advice on co-sleeping with one parent and what to do about her rolling onto her tummy when she can't roll back.

Many thanks.

melissa

Default RE: co-sleeping question

Melissa:

We co-sleep for naps and early morning when DH is out of bed. I've grown accustomed to putting my arm around DD so she can't really go anywhere. I did this when she slept with us at night because it was the easiest position to nurse.

You could always get a bed rail too if you wanted, but I've heard that those can be dangerous.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: co-sleeping question

Sonia,

Thanks for the suggestion. DH frequently sleeps with his arm around Sarah, so I'll have to give that a try.

I'm actually looking forward to some extra space in the bed for a few nights :-)

Martie is adorable. What a neat name too!

Thanks again,
    melissa