Thread: Tummy Sleeping

ldanielson Guest

Default Tummy Sleeping

My son is 6 months old and appears to prefer sleeping on his tummy. Every time I put him down on his back, he rolls to his tummy. I have been indoctronated by books and Doctors to believe this is unsafe until one year of age. Anyone else experience this? I know babies have slept on their tummies forever, but the Sids police have me doubting myself. Help!
    Thanks,
    Laura Danielson

rachelfran Guest

Default RE: Tummy Sleeping

my son has been sleeping on his tummy since he's two weeks old.. .he just was never happy on his back.. he's now almost 9 months old.. my daughter, now 9 years old was also a tummy sleeper... There are other factors that contribute to sids - blankets or pillows in the crib and lack of air circulation ... I know I'm taking a chance but we are all happier with this arrangement- I think you need to follow your own instincts on what is right for you and your baby...

just MTCW

Rachel

suzska Guest

My son started to do the same thing around the same time. Once I knew he could roll over in both directions, I stopped worrying about him. He has been sleeping on his stomach for months. Now he is all over the crib! He's really a strong little guy, so I don't worry about him too much.

--Sue B.
    SAHM to Evan Jeffrey 03-11-01

IansMom04 Guest

My Son started doing this when he was 3 1/2 months old. I was frantic at first. I would try and turn him over so he would be on his back. Or course, he would wake up and it would take hours to get him back to sleep. I finally spoke with our Dr. She said that once they roll over, they will choose to sleep in the position that is the most comfortable for them. She said that some Drs reccomend that you roll them back over.. in her opinion that usually just results in awake & unhappy babies and unhappy parents. She said to just leave him, make sure there were no soft bedding, toys etc. and not to worry.
    If you are worried, you can get an Angle Care monitor and use that to make sure that they keep breathing.. I wanted one, but my husband put his foot down and said NO!

Talk to your Dr, see what they say. Once they roll over, you can't make them sleep a particular way.. not until they make velcro sleepers and matresses :-)

Chantal

Hi!

Thanks for using our message boards.

Not a doctor, but wanted to add my 2¢. Definitely check with your pediatrician. But also make sure your baby can roll back over from tummy to back as well. Also, remove the bumper pads as well as any other soft bedding and toys as the others mentioned. Don't even use a blanket, just a blanket sleeper.

Best wishes,

denise fields
    authors, Baby Bargains