Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Newborn sleep help

deleted...
    Last edited by torontomom; 10-20-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Default RE: Newborn sleep help

well...from a SIDS standpoint...bad...

have you tried getting a sleep positioner and propping her on her side? that worked for us with DD. It sounds like it may be upset tummy that makes her back sleeping undesirable...good luck!

i know how tough it is to be sleep deprived and get to the point where you'll just do anything it takes...that is how we ended up cosleeping so you'll get no flames or judgment from me for letting her sleep on her tummy....!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Are you swaddling? That can really help. Swaddle her, then feed her (if she feeds to sleep) and then lay her down. The swaddling helps them feel secure.

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just throwing this out, but when my DD behaved similarly as a newborn (screamed and arched while on her back), it was a major sign of reflux. She was SO much more comfortable once we started her on Zantac and I eliminated dairy from my diet. If this continues, I would take her to the ped. Other symptoms of reflux can be crying during and after feeding, resisting being held in a horizontal position, and lots of spitting up (though there may not be any excess spitting up).

DD #1 (2/03)
    DD #2 (3/06)

this also crossed my mind. sleeping on an incline may help if this is the problem. i would also caution you that reflux doesn't necessarily mean spitting up. DD barely spit up at all but we discovered she had horrible reflux...it was just not making it all the way out. she had to be put on prevacid. she was also dairy sensitive and did a lot better once we got her dairy free...good luck! i hope your little one gives you some rest soon!

shilo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

for us, swaddling and flannel sheets helped. my DS was not a sleeper no matter what position he was in really, so it's not like i had to make the choice you're talking about. but usually the 'best' he slept was swaddled (first a miracle blanket, later the "first years" jersey/velcro ones you get in a box at target - you can get them good and snug with a few twists of the wrap before velcroing), on someone, then after that, swaddled on flannel sheets (my fav. nurse practitioner at my ob's office cued me into that one - something about their face not touching a cold sheet). i've read other people before handle this by putting a warm water bottle in the crib where their face will be while your nursing, and then take it out right before you put her down so her head goes onto a nice comforting warm spot. might be worth a try if you've ruled out the other things like reflux.

hth, lori
    Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I know that this is an unpopular opinion but given that the baby will sleep in one position and NOT in another, I say that it is likely not reflux or allergies or something that needs investigation. It sounds like you have a baby that just prefers to sleep on her belly.

I would try swaddling and see if that helps. It is worth a shot to see if she will sleep on her back swaddled. If it does not help, I would let her sleep on her tummy. Donning flame suit. :P

SIDS is a risk, it is scary and real. However the risk is quite small and wieghed against you never getting sleep, I say that sometimes we are justified in ignoring the rules. And as you point out, you have a low risk otherwise.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

I am not here to flame you, I had a different situation, same outcome, tummy. Both of my daughters were born with hip dysplasia and wore a harness for awhile. It didn't allow them to move very much, similar to swaddling. When the harness came off they couldn't sleep on their back because when they woke they couldn't settle back down because they could move too much. I say put her in a pack n play close and put her on her tummy.

Jane
    Madeline and Emily's Mom
    1/20/03 11/29/05

i am with you katie.

i don't want to say go for it, because i am too cautious. but i can tell you that you have very few official risks. and being able to move her head from one side to the other sounds pretty strong. and she is able to reposition herself if she is uncomfortable or covered.

i would recommend two things- one, let her sleep on her tummy for naps. you can monitor her and check on her, or even put her in a pack n play or bassinett right beside you as you read, watch tv, fold laundry... you can get an "angel monitor" that goes off if the baby hasn't moved in a certain number of seconds. (they move all the time, even when sleeping.) schuyler took EVERY nap on his tummy and went to bed on his back every night. and he slept 12 hours straight every night by 5 months old.

second- try her side. dylan slept better on his side. i used a rolled up afgan (lots of holes in it for airflow.) to prop him up, but it would probably be better to use a sleep positioner.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Same thing happened with my dd. Finally at around 3 - 4 months, when I was nearly losing my mind,we put her on her tummy and she slept. She has slept on her tummy ever since.

People here will share their experiences, as I just did, but you are the one who will really have to come to terms with sleeping on the belly..Big hugs and good luck.
    Ashley

DD 10/2005

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast