Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default RE: Newborn sleep help

Both my kids we're tummy sleepers. I or someone held both of them 24/7 for the first 2 1/2 weeks because they woke up the minute you put them on their back. I would sleep propped up on the couch with DC on my chest. I tried everything, sleep positioners, heating pads, miracle blanket, elevating the head of crib, rocking bassinette, carseat, eliminating milk from my diet and talked to ped about reflux. I finally gave in with both at about 2 1/2 weeks because I couldn't take it anymore and let them sleep on their tummies. I did discuss it with my ped. and he said since I had tried everything he would allow it but doesn't recommend it. Both could lift their heads at this point, and DD was rolling over at 4 weeks. I finally could sleep in my own bed without a child on my chest for about 2 hours and I could get a few things done during nap time too. I hope you can get a break soon. I know how exhausting it is. Best wishes.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Thank you

When my DD was a newborn, I "confessed" to my ped that I let DD sleep on her tummy while laying on my chest at night. She told me that was different than laying her on her stomach in the crib and was OK. We slept that way for quite awhile since my DD wasn't keen on sleeping on her back at night either.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Thank you

Just wanted to say that I have a tummy sleeper here! We started putting him on his tummy at 2 weeks of age and it made a world of difference! I just kick myself for not having the guts to try it with my first.... he slept in his infant car seat till he was 9 months old and still woke up every few hours!

We moved #2 to the crib at 9weeks of age... tummy sleeping. he was fine and slept very well. If you have her in your room you will hear all those little newborn noises etc.... I'd let her sleep on her tummy if she we're my little one! You can try her side and see if that helps.... it didn't for us cause he would just roll to his tummy where he wanted to be! Aidan also had a very strong neck even at birth..... all the nurses in the hospital commented on it... so I wasn't that worried about him sleeping on his tummy and not being able to shift his head!

It is a personal decision. I asked my ped and he said he couldn't recommend it. He said chances are everything would be ok but there are those rare cases. I worried about it alot in the beginning but realized it is just where he is comfortable. Now that he can flip flop he still tends to be on his tummy mostly!

Good luck

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Default RE: Newborn sleep help

Sounds like my daughter. She had reflux.

We did gave her Mylanta several times a day (when she was really complaining on her back), and before sleep.

For sleeping, we had a positioner - it was a wedge so that her head was elevated, and it also had two side pillow things. We actually always put her on the side, she could have push up against thoes pillow things with her tummy. It seemed to really work - she slept well. If she ended up on her back, she woudl cry, and we just turned her to the side (she couldn't roll onto the tummy because of the positioner). She just hated being on her back till about 4 months, now she is OK w/ it and outgrew the reflux.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3