Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Did you "teach" your baby to roll over (or crawl, etc)?

I don't know how much you can "teach" them. We did a lot of encouraging, at least with the rolling, after she had figured out the skill on her own.

For example: if DD was on her belly and starting to lean one way, we would hold an interesting object above her and arc it over her back to encourage her to follow it. Soon enough she was rolling all around the room. We thought the constant rolling was pretty funny.

Wow... that seems like so long ago. <wistful> :)

Can you put DS2 on a bit of a ramp (ex: a folded towel or blanket) to give him a boost. You can even put him on a blanket and roll him in it. That said, all the encouraging in the world may not "teach" him until he's ready. Can't hurt to show him that he can roll and you will safely catch him though.

Good luck!
    Fancy Nancy 8/04
    Snuggle Puppy 5/07
    "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway."

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Nope. Didn't teach or encourage anything. Tried to put off walking as long as possible, too. ;)

My mom encouraged DS cruising and had to work a bit on head control. Poor thing did not like tummy time as he's head has always been on the big side and kind of heavy.
    Mom to DS born on Thanksgiving 2003

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

NO mine were all early on rolling ( all by 8 weeks) sitting- all sat for pictures at 4 1/2 months.
    We did encourage Logan to crawl for 2 months he got on his hand and knees and rocked. He was 7 1/2 months. The other 2 were crawling at 6 months. Walking was the same we took Logans hands and helped him to walk and coaxed him to let go he did at 12 1/2 months. The other 2 just let go and ran at 10 months.
    Honestly after my first I was content with them doing it on their own.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

denna is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We havent 'taught' DS how to roll over or get into the crawling positioning, he just seemed to start doing it on his own. We do try to give him toys to reach for, etc.

I have known parents that by 8.5months were 'bribing' there DCs to crawl.

I think Logan is well on his way! DS didnt flip over and back until 5 months and now hes almost 6mohths and already practically crawling...

Denna

Mama to THREE adorable kiddos

Mommy's KINDERGARTENER DS1 born Apr/2006 happily harnessed in his Frontier
    Mommy's belly baby DD born Jul/2009 content in her Boulevard
    Mommy's little hedgehog DS2 born May/2011; riding unhappily in his Chaperone

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No, I didn't teach him (hard to keep those hands off sometimes as a PT though LOL). However, we did set up situations I guess that helped with overall development...lots of tummy time, and I did use a wedge with him during tummy time when he was little to make it easier for him to learn to lift his head, etc. So I guess I structured the environment to help him, but didn't necessarily go about purposefully teaching him, if that makes sense?

For a typically developing child, IMO there's no reason to "teach" specific skills. Lots of floor time, tummy time, etc. are great to enhance overall strength and development, but beyond that I wouldn't worry unless there were delays (at which point a professional would be more effective in teaching you to teach your DC).
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

>Can you put DS2 on a bit of a ramp (ex: a folded towel or
    >blanket) to give him a boost. You can even put him on a
    >blanket and roll him in it. That said, all the encouraging in
    >the world may not "teach" him until he's ready. Can't hurt to
    >show him that he can roll and you will safely catch him
    >though.

This is a great idea. Funny thing - I remember doing this with DS1 and completely forgot about it this time around. It's crazy what I don't remember. :-)

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
    ... and Logan! May 20, 2006

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Thanks everyone!

I'm glad I'm on the right track, and that we don't need to be "teaching" him. We'll just keep up the floor/tummy time and let it happen. I'll show DH this thread tonight.

Erin

Mom to Chase Feb. 04
    ... and Logan! May 20, 2006

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Bit of a late reply on this one - just saw it! I did end up 'teaching' DD how to roll from front to back. At around 4.5 months she was regularly rolling back to front but at 8 months I was getting a bit concerned that she didn't seem to even try to roll front to back. My mom used to put her on her tummy on a blanket and then grab her leg and just sort of flip her over! DD thought it was HILARIOUS - she just loved it! It only took maybe a couple of times over 3 or 4 days before she was rolling front to back on her own. It was like she just needed to be shown and then she clued in what to do! Sometimes they do need a little guidance, as another poster aptly put it! :)
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

lizamann Guest

No teaching here. Just lots of playing and following her lead, but I didn't even do those reaching exercises.

I definitely have a huge "unschooling" streak in me and believe that kids will learn just about everything they need to learn (even academic subjects) if provided with an enriched environment and an attentive adult to help guide them when they're ready.

I didn't "teach" potty training either, so that can happen, too, on their own time when they're ready.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2