Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default RE: 16 month old not interested in walking

you can also use something like a hula hoop, yard stick, etc. If he's not yet willing to walk with hands held a little lower than you (OP) have been doing, he might not be ready for this, but you can try it.

A lot of kids walk better with an object in their hands in general.

I've had kids that would NOT let go of having support even once they were probably very capable. I had a colleague show me a trick where she actually used a necklace (like Mardi Gras type beads) and had the child hold onto the necklace while she held the other end. Weird, but it sometimes works to wean them off the need to have a hand held.

To the OP, those are things to try once your son is receptive to having his hands lowered a bit or walking with one hand held.

edited to fix typo
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Marcy,

Isn't it amazing? In the beginning BF was so hard.....now you are at 16 months and counting! I feel blessed to have made it to 17 months,,,and she has just weaned. Bitter sweet! Good job Mama!

Hope to "see" you around!

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is in daycare. As per my previous post, she doesn't walk at home more than a few steps and only when really distracted like other posters have mentioned (intent on something, holding something in her hands).

So imagine my surprise when I get to school today to pick her up and she walks over 10 feet to get to me. Included in that was a curb she had to STEP OVER. She did it like it was nothing. DH typically picks her up from school. I sat there stunned and talked to the lady watching her (not her normal teacher). She was surprised that I was stunned because DD apparently never crawls at school. What?!!! Little monkey. I talk to her teachers all the time and realized that this was an issue that never came up because we were always discussing other issues like biting, what funk is currently going around, what stuff we need to bring in, etc.

I consider myself no longer duped by my DD. Apparently my other friends' kids walk better with their grandparents because they are less likely to carry them.

Just thought I'd let you know there is hope!
    Michelle

You/ve gotten some great advice already, but I thought I'd chime in. My DS2 didn't walk until 16 months. At 12ish months I was already a little concerned, but the pedi checked his legs/hips and said his "equipment" was perfectly fine. He cruised everywhere and would stand also, he just wasn't interested in walking. The pedi said there were no physical problems as long as he was standing on his legs, and he would walk when he was ready. And he did! Now I can hardly keep up! It might be worth it to talk to the pedi, but if he's cruising and climbing, it sounds like he's fine.

Marcy_O Guest

HAHA Michelle That is funny! Doesn't it just figure? THey'll be doing this to us for a long long time I suppose. I hadn't thought of a stick or a hula hoop, what a great idea. I have some nice walking sticks that are just his size that he really likes already. ANd I also think you're right in that we are pretty likely to be holding him moreso than say at DAycare. Though I think he dups them into holding him too. He's pretty cuddly so people enjoy holding him LOL.

More later! At work again!

Marcy

My DS didn't walk until about 15 mos. He had all of the other skills but just wouldn't let go. I think it was that he wanted to do it 'right' before he did it at all. He cruised forever and it was really just a confidence thing. He wasn't one of the kids who walks a few steps and then falls. Once he started walking, he was *walking* and walking well. Hardly ever fell. Your DS could be the same way. Frustrating but he'll do it in his own time and never look back! :)

Kim
    ~ mama to a sweet boy named Harrison ~ 4.6.04
    ...and #2 due 5.24.07!

ribbit1019 Guest

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of very good advice. I have nothing really to add, but wanted to say "Hi!!" ;) Miss hearing about Master Brighton. :)

Christy
    My Waterbabies
    http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/Yw0w.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/0vphm4.png
    http://lilypie.com/pic/060928/iBmU.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/uy3Mm4.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Other/jump.gif

Marcy_O Guest

Aww!! Thanks Christy! It's great to hear from everyone. I love your tickers! HAHA! Congrats on the new baby! I don't think "J" was born when I drifted off...

This is a great thread with lots of great information. Kim, I think you're right. I have a feeling that when he decides he wants to walk, he'll be *walking*. Or like my family tells me, *running!* YIKES!

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh yeah, DD knows how to work it as well. Whenever she wants something, she'll go to whomever she thinks is likely to give it to her, hug that person while saying "ahhhh." Like what a nice hug. How can you resist that? In terms of a walking stick, make sure it's nothing that could poke him when he falls. For DD, ANYTHING in her hands gives her security. Her favorite is 2 puzzle pieces with the big knobs. One in each hand will get her wherever she wants to go. Or her sippy of milk.

So then there is the not so nice part of me that thinks it's easier because we have a daughter. If we really wanted to be mean and have her walk, we could just stick her in a dress because when she's crawling, it gets caught under her knees and she can't go anywhere like that. Haven't tried it yet, but if we hit the 18 month mark, it may be next on the list!!

Good Luck!
    Michelle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2