Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    cmdunn1972 Guest

Default RE: 15 month old has only 3 words (including Woof) -- just back from pedi -- help

I have absolutely nothing against Spanish people or the language. However, some children seem a little confused, and therefore appear "speech-delayed", if they are taught more than one language at once. (While your caregiver may not be trying to do that officially, that is what could be happening for all intents and purposes.)

Perhaps a good idea, since this is a critical time for your DS language-wise, would be for you to ask your caregiver to speak only one language at a time to your DS until he is confident in his English skills. After he is more proficient in his English, then she can feel free to teach him Spanish if she wishes.

FTR, I have known bilingual Latino parents who have done the one-language-at-a-time thing with their own children when they are speech-delayed, so it shouldn't be offensive to ask in that way.

Children do, however, tend to develop one skill at a time. So, if your DS is currently concentrating on motor skills he may not be developing language skills as quickly right now. If that's the case, give him a few months before getting too worried.

HTH!

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: 15 month old has only 3 words (including Woof) -- just back from pedi -- help

I am so glad to see this thread! I know Dora is only 1, but people keep asking if she can talk yet, including a prospective new ped. She only babbles (mamama, dadada, nanana, random syllables), and does all of her communicating non-verbally. I really don't know when I'm supposed to start worrying. The ped told me to work with her everyday, but how do you do that? I read to her everyday because Dh and I are actually rather introverted (Dh much more than me) so I have troulble coming up with conversation for Dora. We don't do SL because it seems to be such a trend and I was feeling rebellious :-). Dora has one ubiquitous sign that she uses for many contexts, and we understand them all. The ped. told me chattability is genetic, so I'm trying not to be concerned.

Sorry to hijack! I will say if your nanny is speaking Spanish, not to worry, on day your ds will speak both Spanish and English. That would be so cool!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

haven't read other reponses, but had to say your ped is over the top. dylan didn't speak words at 15 months and now at 21 months, he chats up a storm, repeating everything we say. his fav. is when i say any sentence with the word "go" in it, he says, "GO!" and then waits and says, "Bye!" but in a fabulous southern accent that cracks me up.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

RJPO is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

My daughter had a full-time Spanish speaking nanny and was saying words (in both languages) at about twelve months (her first word: "agua").

My son, now nineteen months old, only has good old English speaking me as a caregiver, and doesn't say a frakkin' word! Well, that's not entirely true: he says "Da." We joke that our seven week old baby will be talking before he does.

I think it all depends on the child, and there's a wide range of "normal." And like I said, my oldest's English language skills have always been great, despite her early exposure to a second language.

Best of luck!

Rachel
    mom to Mary (1998), James (2005), and Lizzy (2006)

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would suggest not to worry, which is easier said than done :-)

I taught DS sign language (using Signing Time video), starting at 17 months, and it was 19 months when he had a language explosion (started talking more words). I don't think DS has many words at 15 months.

I speak Indonesian to him 90% of the time, and he goes to Chinese school 3 days a week, and Grandma - MIL (100% English) 2 days a week. IMHO, keep the Nanny speaking Spanish, that will be excellent if your DS can be fully bilingual.

My ped, who has a Spanish speaking nanny for her DS, said that you need to count the number of words in ALL languages. You wrote that your DS doesn't say any Spanish words yet, but that will come (especially considering that his receptive understanding is good), just remember that for later.

Just keep talking to him, repeating words for things two or three times, etc. Remember Einstein did not talk until he was 3!

Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2