Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Is there too much in his crib?

There is so much freaking stuff in the girls' beds, I swear they should be leasing space out.

I wouldn't worry about your DS suffocating. He's old enough that he can shove stuff out of the way (or out of the crib, as Mia does).

Sophia has her own version of FAO Schwarz in her bed along with any given number of slippers, books (at minimum 3-4), a pillow, a blanket to sleep UNDER and a blanket to sleep ON TOP of. She then has her 'special daddy tissues' a/k/a linen handkerchiefs (long story, short - she has a thing for being able to 'dab' her eyes after crying. We used to give her regular paper tissues, but she was independently killing off the Pacific Northwest. To borrow your line - stop laughing.). I'd say that the ratio of occupants (both real and stuffed) to actual space is roughly 6:1. Whatever. She's the one sleeping in there, not me. ;)

Amelia has some board books, her beloved Magnadoodle (the smaller size), a couple stuffed animals, some Little People animals, and several pacis. Mia still has a bumper in her crib, but also sleeps under a little comforter. Mia has decided to outdo her sister, so instead of the daddy tissues, she has washcloths. Yes, my DD has determined that her lovey is a washcloth. Preferably a damp one, although I usually can persuade her to forfeit that for a dry model. Zillions of dollars in baby equipment, toys, etc., and she wants a WASHCLOTH. Sigh.

Again, this is how they choose to sleep. And thank the great God above, they have slept through the night (11+hrs) since they were 8w and 5w old. I've tried taking stuff out, but end up making trips back up and down the stairs all night. Slowly returning all their companions back to their original spots.

So, no worries about the cow. Perhaps it will cut back on having to buy organic milk in vast quantities! :)

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm sorry, a baby question ??

Huh ?

Is this a place for baby questions ??

sorry....

Um, really am sorry, couldn't help it.

But, I agree with all of the PPS - at your DS's age, I really think its fine to have all that stuff in the crib. My 2.5 year old has the pillow, the blanket, and whatever figurines are big with him at the time. Currently, it is a plastic batman, catwoman, his brother's joker, the little troll doll from burger king with purple hair, the spiderman adventure type person doll, half of a mini plastic dinosaur skeleton, and the lion from jo jos circus. and a cup of water so he can either spill it on himself or drink so much he overflows his diaper, which is always fun. and sometimes a book. I had to hide the stuffed animals to try to deal with dust mites, and, go figure, he hasn't missed them.

Does he actually wake up and notice the things missing if you take them after he falls asleep ?? if so, yikes.

barbarhow Guest

Your DS sounds like he should move in with my DD. She has 2 blankets, actually 3 if you count that huge one with the pink bear head attached to it, about 14 stuffed animals, books, a fire engine, several pairs of socks and who knows what else. She loves her pile of stuff and when she wakes up in the morning is happy to sit there and play with it all. She has been known on occasion to pitch it all out of the crib but most of the time she likes it all in there. She sleeps with her pink pig under her belly and her arm on her blanky.
    Sounds to me like he is pretty normal.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ummm, no BTDT but I really think since he's two now you can rest a little easier. If he's dressed warmly enough can you get rid of the blankets and leave the other stuff?

Bwa ha ha ha ha! I love the finger puppets! Does he take attendance? Will he notice if you take a few away?
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, stop worrying about the suffocation! DD likes a moderate number of things in her crib - 2 blankies and 2 stuffed dogs who must be placed at the foot of the crib "just in case" she needs them (the dogs replaced her nuk which we ditched a couple of months ago). She recently has started asking for her stuffed pea and tomato (known as Sweetie Pea and Sweetie Apple Who's Actually a Tomato) but they have googly eyes that I'm afraid will come off so they sit on the bookshelf next to her crib so they can watch her sleep.

Susan
    mama to my cutie pie, Avery
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]

ETA: I totally forgot about the bear blanket, her actual lovely. What was I thinking?!?

I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh. :D

DD (23 months) has in her crib:
    1 Fisher-Price aquarium
    3 pink rag dolls (the "triplets")
    1 small pink stuffed puppy
    1 brown puppy that plays music when you pull a handle on his butt
    1 lamb that plays music when you pull his tail
    1 (small) taggie blanket
    1 crocheted blanket my great-grandmother made for me
    1 knit blanket a friend made for DD
    1 toddler-sized pillow
    1 set crib bumpers
    1 white fuzzy blanket with a bear head on one corner and a bear butt on the opposite corner, with pink satin trim, of course
    2 binkies. 1 pink, 1 blue, no more, no less.

At various points in time, this collection has also included board books (I took those away once she started shredding them) and a glow worm (am I the only one completely freaked out by those?) that went away when she kept rolling over on it, activating it, and waking up. I've tried to remove the other two music-making toys because I can't throw them in the wash if she wets through her diaper, but that didn't work out so well. Luckily, they've escaped getting wet so far...

The second blanket is a new thing. DH tucked DD in with the original blanket last night (not realizing she now has a preference) and came downstairs, and I could her her sobbing over the monitor: "Daddy, no, the purple blanket" over and over before he even hit the bottom step. And heaven forbid there not be one pink binky and one blue binky in her crib at any given time. She's woken up screaming in the middle of the night and when I drag myself down the hall and ask her what's wrong she cries "blue binky! where blue binky?" around the blue binky in her mouth, with the pink binky in a death grip in her hand. Sigh.

I'm not remotely worried about suffocation. I'm much more worried that she'll be sleeping with all this stuff when she moves into a toddler bed. In fact, I'm thinking we might just have to move straight to a twin (or bigger) bed, because DD's not going to fit with all this stuff...

Sarah :)
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

He absolutely knows who is missing. And he usually knows where they are, cuz he's the one who dropped them behind the crib or over the side. In fact, we do take attendance. It's a real barrel of monkeys. We say, "Ok, here's your pillow, and here's ernie, and bert, and cookie (ha-ha-ha-ha), and grovey, and elmo, and big bird, and oscar ... here's your bunny bear and purple hippo. Here's Mr. Wizard, we have little blankie and big blankie, and other big blankie, and look, there's your burpee! And another burpee! And two more burpees! Oh my goodness it's land of a thousand burpees! Sometimes the books make a guest appearance. By morning, depending on how long I've let him hang out in there, all the contents may or may not have ended up on the floor.

Hahah. Okay, besides his pillow and blanket Peyton has in his crib:

All of these are stuffed-
    1 cow
    1 pig
    1 monkey
    1 duck
    1 horse
    1 mouse
    a plush Thomas, James, and Percy
    and a medium sized wooden school bus

I don't worry about it. But it is not much fun cleaning poop out of a school bus by going in through the windows with a toothbrush. Just so you know.

Stop worrying and learn to love the burpees. He's past the risk of suffocating, and if he's not waking himself up or sleeping with knives, he's fine.

DD is pretty restrained, although we did of course have company the day she went to bed, came out, asked for a towel ("Is something wet?" "No, I want a towel"), and went back to bed content, with her towel. Never did it before or since. 2 days later I fished out the neglected towel, washed it and put it away.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, I was just wondering if those came with or without poop. As in, would you like fries with that. I will never forget that story! Dear angel butt. Oy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast