Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jbeamer Guest

Default No vaccinations??

I was wondering if anyone has not had their baby vaccinated. Or maybe waited until they were older instead of receiving them when they are so little. I have been reading a lot of articles and books on vaccinations and was interested in finding out what others opinions are on this topic.
    Has anyone not done vaccinations? Has anyone had their baby/babies have reactions to the vaccinations besides soreness, irritability and fever? Any insights would be great. Thanks.

Jen

Kayla Guest

Default RE: No vaccinations??

I'm planning on waiting on Hepatitis B and Varicella. I'm still reasearching a couple of others. I read a very good article somewhere about assessing the risk factors and making an informed decision.

I'm taking the vaccines on a case by case basis, and will likely take most of them, though not necessarily on the recommended time table.

I certainly won't let my baby be immunized against Hep B in the hospital when it's just born, as it will be at low, if not no, risk of contracting this disease.

My fried who's a pediatrician agreed with me on this and waiting on varicella.

Jen:

You can get some more info on this if you go to the mdc board. They have a whole section on vaccines too. I do believe that Rachels is waiting out on some vaccines too, so you might want to PM or e-mail her.

I'm not sure about the varicella vaccine, but its not required for my daughter to enter school. I'm not going to lie to the school system and say its against my religious beliefs, because its not.

I am going to immunize my daughter against all the hepititis viruses because I have been immunized because my grandmother died from Hepititis B (she contracted living in Taiwain) and her children are all carriers. I haven't been tested to see if I am a carrier but it's just added protection for my daughter. I saw my grandmother die from liver disease and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

JWP Guest

Varicella vaccine IS required for entry into Texas schools and child-care facilities. Children who have already had chickenpox, however, do not have to be vaccinated. The vaccine requirements can be found on the Texas Department of Health website at www.ImmunizeTexas.com

JWP Guest

I understand your rationale for waiting for the first dose of hepatitis B vaccine, but why varicella. The varicella vaccine is not given until the child is 1 year of age--the same age at which the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine is administered. Unfortunately, every year in Texas, several children die from chickenpox (varicella), and there is simply no way to predict which children will have a mild course of illness and which ones will become seriously ill with chickenpox, subsequently developing pneumonia or encephalitis. It's certainly not a risk I'm willing to take with my child.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We delay-vaccinate and some we are not doing at all until Ds is much older. We will not do the Hep-B until he is a preteen (probably). He is at a very little risk since I was vaccinated against it (he's nursing). I think the only way I would have was if I was not immune and was nursing AND was in an at-risk occupation.

We did DTaP only b/c we wanted the Tetanus and Pertussis and it was not possible to get them separately here. I am not for the multi-vaccines, but we had not choice. For this we weighed the risk of disease (particularly tetanus...) and decided for it.

We also did the HiB b/c meningitis scares the you-know-what out of me! One of my co-workers children died from it, and my cousin had it when he was an infant. We did not do the Prevnar just b/c I still feel it's too new of a vaccine, otherwise we would have.

We will not be doing the varicella unless Ds evades Chicken Pox until he's in the double-digits. If this vaccine is still around then, and proven safe, we'll consider it b/c we don't want Ds to get it later in life (Dh had it in high school and it was hard on him).

All other vaccines will either be delayed or skipped. When Ds did receive those 2 vaccines, we seperated the administration by 2 weeks. I feel strongly it's important not to overtax their immature immune systems. I also made sure that the vials were preservative-free so Ds would not be getting any thimerasol (sp?).

I'm ecstatic that I live in a state (& have a pediatrician) which I do not have to jump through any legal hoops to parent my child in a way that I feel is safest. The only time I've ever been handed a vaccine sheet to fill out, I just flipped that puppy over and signed the waivor on the back. I don't think the person I handed it to even noticed.

jbeamer Guest

I'll have to check out mdc board, thanks. My DD has gotten her required shots for up to 6 months except for Hep.B. I will probably start those at 1 year. I am concerned about MMR though. I will probably wait until she is about 3years before she gets that one. I like the idea of waiting until she is older and her immune system is supposedly stronger before giving her questionabl vaccines.

starrynight Guest

I decided as of right now Eliza isn't getting any at all. I was going to give her dtap but I have looked into it some more and decided against it. I may change my mind when she is 1 or 2 years old but as of right now she will get nothing.

So far, (ds is 5 mo) we have gone ahead with all the recommended vaccines- but we are dividing them up so that he gets no more than 3 "bugs" at a time. This means we go for the HIB, IPV and Pneumococcal on the even months, and the DTaP (a triple vaccine) on the odd months. We did do the Hep B, but we will not be doing the varicella.
    I haven't decided yet about the MMR- I think I will try to have individual vaccines for that one, rather than the triple. Anyone have information or opinions on that one?
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07

essnce629 Guest

I waited until my son was 7 months old before giving him any vaccines. My midwife suggested I wait until 6 months which I had also planned on doing. I had a homebirth, so the Hep B vaccine at birth was never even brought up (and I tested HepB negative anyway). At 7 months old my son got the first of the Hib and the Polio (IPV) vaccine. These are the only vaccines I feel are safe to give together. Just yesterday, now at 8 months old, my son received the first of the DTaP vaccines. I found a really great book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave, M.D. It's written by a doctor and she goes in depth on every vaccination as well as the diseases it's trying to prevent. The book is neither pro nor anti-vax. If you do choose to vaccinate, she recommends an alternative/delayed schedule with the first vaccination beginning at 4 months old. She even offers advice on how to minimize vaccination reactions, such as giving Vitamin A in the form of Cod Liver Oil and liquid Vitamin C on the day of the vaccination, and giving fruit juice immediately before and after the DTap vaccine. It's a great book and I highly recommend it. Having started at 7 months old, my son's vaccination schedule will look like this:

7 mo- Hib & IPV
    8 mo- DTap
    9 mo- Hib & IPV
    10 mo- DTap
    11 mo- Hib
    12 mo- DTap
    15 mo- Measles
    20 mo- IPV
    21 mo- DTap
    27 mo- Mumps

Prevnar- undecided still, but in the book she recommends one dose at 2 years old
    Rubella- Won't get (if I had a daugther, she would get it around puberty)
    Hep B- closer to puberty
    Varicella- closer to puberty if he doesn't get chickenpox naturally

***Latia
    Conner 8/19/03
    http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast