Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I agree it is a very personal topic - we seriously considered not vaccinating, and then when we figured out our child care arrangements and knew our child would be in group care starting at about 6 months, we decided we had to do it, because a) we wanted our child protected against what other children might be carrying (his day care has a lot of children from other countries there who might have different vax schedules and didn't want him exposed without being vaccinated) and b) the day care would not accept a waiver, and we didn't want to do them all at once just before he started day care. When we were thinking about not doing it, someone pointed out the following to me: the people who don't vaccinate their children are counting on everyone else to vaccinate their children to avoid having their children get the disease. It isn't fair to ask other parents to put their children at risk with the vax, but not to take it with your own children when you know they will benefit from everyone else's vax. It should be a shared risk that the entire population takes because it is a public health issue. I was totally offended at the time, and still wouldn't put it in those terms, but the basic point is starting to ring true to me, especially now that we know several people who haven't vaccinated and are going to send their kids to public school.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrimer
    Being that I am a pediatric RN I to have taken necessary steps in the vaccination process. Each time my daughter is due for shots she only get 1 or two and then we make the journy back in the next month. therefore, we space them out over a few months.

I agree we do not need to overwhelm there immune system, but those who decide to wait on certain vaccination (Heb B, varricela and MMR) let me just put something out there. When you vaccinate yes you are vaccinating against the disease, but you are also vaccinating your child against other children who are sick or are are not immunized. We live in such a deverse population with people come from other countries everyday. Therefore, b/c these other countries do not follow the same guidlines as we do what they bring over can cause other children here in the states to become sick even though we do not have a problem.

You are vaccinating against others. Be safe.
    (sorry to the person I quoted as I trimmed the quote a little bit). I'm also an RN, working in neonatal. I am pro-vaccination as well, though I have mixed feelings about the combo vaccines. On one hand they do limit the number of injections, but especially the 5-in-1 vaccines can be VERY tough on the kiddo.

I received all of my immunizations according to schedule, and even got MORE vaccines thanks to the military...and yet I still never developed total immunity to Rubella. And I had to have 2 series of the Hep B in order for the labs to show and immune response. Vaccines are not perfect, but they have a proven track record of limiting epidemics of certain infections.

In regards to my little boy, due in June, I will give the recommended schedule, including Hep B...but will try to space out the number of vaccines given at one time and not use the 5-in-1 combos. Even spacing out by a week helps the kiddo feel better...and if you have a reaction its a little easier to determine which component is the probable culprit.

I have dealt with many parents who decided not to vaccinate. That's a very personal decision that each parent must make. As an RN I am supportive of those parents who have decided not to vaccinate for whatever reason, as long as they are truly making informed consent.

CAM7 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I'm an 'older' mom... my oldest daughter was born in the late 80's and when I discovered how many vaxes were added to the schedule since then I was appalled. Our youngest are 2 and 3.

We're not vaxing. We've researched plenty.

MDC is an excellent source for info and for hooking up with other like minded parents for support. If you are not going to vax you'll need it.

Also an excellent site for info is "insidevaccines . com" ... they also have a discussion board with other very educated parents who don't vax. They have been helpful to us...

For a previous poster... Texas has a 'philosophical' type exemption that you can obtain so you don't have to file a religious exemption.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3