Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mommyoftwo Guest

Default RE: Does this seem normal to you?

Thank you so much for that incredibly helpful information. Since DH is a surgical resident, I'm sure he will want to know all the details about how the surgery will be performed etc. I guess we'll see what happens but I have a sinking suspicion that we are headed for surgery unless it can be treated with steroids or something of that nature.

You just described my tonsils. They have been this large for as long as I can remember. My mom said that I was suppose to have them out when I was around five, but my dad didn't permit it. He couldn't bear the thought of me crying so much. I don't remember much, but I do remember the doctor jokingly said "We're going to cut you." while making the scissor cutting motion in front of my face. Let's just say I wouldn't open my mouth for anyone for a looooong time. Who says that to a kid?!

Anyway, I don't get more colds or infections than anyone else. My doctor says at this point in my life, it's not necessary for me to go to have them removed. I have always had bad allergies, and everyone tells me my voice sounds a bit congested. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the tonsils. My whole family snores too, so I'm screwed anyway. :)

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif 15 months

I also had very large tonsils as a child, (my Dr said they were the biggest she'd ever seen!) I did snore, don't know if I had more than average amount of colds. I do remember that it was sometimes hard to swallow large things (yes, my tonsils were that big!). Not sure why they weren't removed, though I know I would have been terrified to have sx. As an adult, they are normal sized, and I rarely snore any more, and don't get sick too often. I never had allergy problems or anything else I can remember resulting from my tonsils. I had no trouble sleeping and was successful in school, so I wonder if trouble sleeping/in school would be more related to sleep apnea? I wouldn't be surprised if tonsil issues/sleep apnea could sometimes go hand-in-hand. Hope Tuesday's appt is informative!

Allison
    http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png[/img][/url]

Margaret-thank you so much for this information! My son Ryan,who just turned 6, has huge tonsils as well. We happened to notice when he had a sore throat but assumed it was r/t that. About a month later I noticed that they were still very large yet he was not sick. Our ped. looked at them this past spring, but wasn't too concerned since he's a pretty healthy kid. He said that some kids just have larger tonsils and they out-grow them eventually. Since then, DH and I have become more concerned because he snores loudly and has moments when he seems to stop breathing for a second and then gasps. He never wakes up when it happens but he does stir and change postions a lot. It may not be classic sleep apnea as it doesn't(as far as I know)last for ten seconds, but we just worry that it interrupts his sleep cycles leaving him unrested. He just started first grade full days and he is SO tired. I know it's normal because it's a big adjustment but I just wonder if there's more to this. I ran into his teacher from last year and she commented on how tired he looks when she sees him.(without me asking so it must be pretty noticeable for her to comment) This just reinforced that we should at least have him looked at by an ENT so they can evaluate. Wow, didn't mean to hijack and ramble! Margaret, do think you could post a link or email me info. on where I could look at that research? I'm very interested. Thanks! :)

~Leslie

SAHM to...
    Ryan 8/14/00
    Matthew 2/14/03

mommyoftwo Guest

No worries about hijacking. I guess we'll be getting our kids checked out together. I keep telling my husband that she is acting overtired and sometimes I know it's because she's not taking a nap, but sometimes there is no good explanation for it and this would explain a lot. I hope you are able to get some good answers.

Default Link to info. on obstructive tonsillitis...

Thanks Jessica! We have our ENT appointment on Tuesday as well. We'll have to check back in here to see what they say. I'm wondering if they would want to wait it out with Amelia since she's so young. I'm definitely not going in there looking for surgery but if they think it will help we'll do it. Here are a few links with some info...

http://www.kidshealth.org/research/OSA_treatment.html

http://www.chop.edu/consumer/your_ch...x.jsp?id=-8008

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040301/1147.html

~Leslie

SAHM to...
    Ryan 8/14/00
    Matthew 2/14/03

ctc221 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Go for an ENT evaluation and see if you can get a sleep study as well. We had the same concerns for DD. Based on the size of her tonsils and our complaints, he recommended to remove her tonsils and adenoids. Since we were hesitant about surgery, we also had a sleep study at the children's hospital to diagnose any apnea or other disturbances. The results were negative. So right now she's on daily singulair for asthma/allergies, and seems to be okay. If things get worse, the sleep center recommended a follow-up study in a year or so.

HTH!

AC

DD 02/02
    DS 11/04

mommyoftwo Guest

Default UPDATE #1

I took Amelia to the ENT today and he did a strep test just to be sure that she wasn't sick. Low and behold she has a strep infection. She doesn't have a fever and shows no signs of being sick so I guess it's possible that we caught it before it got to bad. Amelia was exposed to strep when we were with my parents for my grandma's funeral so she may have gotten it then. We won't be able to deal with the large tonsils until we see what happens after she has been on antibiotics. We did fill out a questionaire regarding, sore throats, sleep habits etc. We have another appointment in two weeks at which point Amelia will be tested to see if she is a strep carrier (not sure what that means exactly) and we will discuss whether further action needs to be taken. So I guess we will just have to wait and see. I'll update more when I know more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2