Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mommyoftwo Guest

Default Does this seem normal to you?

About two months ago, I noticed that Amelia had enormous swollen tonsils. I'm talking walnut sized with a very tiny opening at the back of her throat. She had a very low-grade fever at the time (99-100) if you can even call it that. It didn't seem to effect her in any way. After three weeks I called the doctor because I was concerned that her tonsils were still so swollen. He said that it can take a long time for them to get back to normal. Today Amelia has been incredibly crabby and clingy so I thought I would check the back of her throat because she was recently exposed to strep. Anyway, her tonsils haven't gone down at all. It seems to me that after two months they should be at least a little smaller. Also her uvula (hangy ball thing) seems to be stuck to one of them and is pulled over to the side. (I noticed that before as well.) Has anyone else had an experience like this. Is this normal or should I start bugging the doctor about it again?

Default RE: Does this seem normal to you?

bug the doctor and if you don't get a satisfactory answer ask for an ENT consult. Does she snore at night? Sleep well/wake rested?
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

mommyoftwo Guest

She doesn't always snore but often does, often wakes up in the middle of the night and often seems tired but I think that's because she usually refuses to take a nap. Why do you ask?

ETA: We actually have and ENT for her already as she has a nasty habbit of sticking things up her nose and needing to have them removed. Last time it was two calculator buttons and two inch long pieces of fuzz all at one time. Maybe I should give him a call and ask him what he thinks.

cbm Guest

Since the doctor was asked by phone, I take it he/she wasn't able to actually see the tonsils or the uvula attached to one of them. I would take her in to show this, then I would have an ENT check her out as well (the ped may actually refer you to one). This is really ENT territory.
    People with enlarged tonsils usually have problems with colds and fevers (get them often.) Problems with tonsils, uvula, and adenoids, usually cause snoring. The uvula may not be actually stuck to the tonsil, but the swelling of the tonsil could be large enough to push the uvula on the side.
    I hope this helps.

Claudia
    DS 12/18/04

mommyoftwo Guest

Thanks. I think I'll call the ENT today and see what he thinks.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

YUP! Call the ENT! I had to have my tonsils and Adenoids removed and tubes put in my ears due to recurrent infections as a child! Better to deal with it right away then to wait... especially since sicky season is rapidly approaching!

Good luck and let us know what the ENT has to say!

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

mommyoftwo Guest

I called and got an appointment with the ENT for Tuesday. I'll update when I have more info. Thanks for responding everyone. I thought it was something that should be checked out but the ped kept telling me not to worry about it before so I gave it some time first.

ETA: clarity

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS is getting his tonsils and adnoids removed next Friday for this problem. He snores, it has affected his voice and his appetite has decreased. They have been enlarged for several months and he is similar in age to your DD. Your ENT will be able to give you their recommendation but we met with one our ped. recommended and we're getting it done before sick season and the holidays hit, etc so he will be recovered. Good luck - keep us posted!

mommyoftwo Guest

Ugg, I really hope she doesn't have to have them removed since it doesn't appear to be affecting her at the moment but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Good luck to you. I hope things go smoothly and your DS recoveres quickly. Now that I think about it, I guess it should suprise me to much because DH had his removed as a child. Maybe it runs in the family.

As a peds nurse I'm seeing more and more tonsilectomies being done for chronic obstructive tonsils vs the traditional 5 streps in a year. From what I've read research is linking poor behavior/lack of classroom success to lack of sleep due to obstructive tonsils... very interesting. If the ENT does reccomend a tonsilectomy be sure to ask which technique he uses. There are 3-4 different techniques which cause varying levels of pain post op.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast