Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lvp49 Guest

Default What kind of shoes do you buy???

We just came from playtime group at the library, where I was eavesdropping on a conversation between a few other mothers I vaguely know. They were discussing where to get shoes for their toddlers (all around two) The brands mentioned were Elefanten, Stride Rite, etc, and who had them for the best prices, Marshalls, independant local shoe stores. One mother said that she would not buy shoes at Marshalls because " the worst thing you can do is buy shoes that don't fit right", and she wants her child measured.

How important is this really? I asked my pediatrician about it, and he did not seem to think that I was harming her buy shopping at Payless. I am an educated person, and want to do whats best for her, and do not cheap out where it is important, however, I think its silly to pay $45 for one pair of shoes when I can get her three for the same price. But is this the worst thing that I can do???

Its hard to get a straight answer, I mean they are not going to tell you at the shoe store, right?

mom2kandj Guest

Default RE: What kind of shoes do you buy???

We usually buy Stride Rite, but never full retail and usually at the outlet! We DO get fitted at a full retail Stride Rite store or Nordstrom near us prior to our outlet trips. (Our closest outlet is 90 minutes away!) We also have them measured when we are at the outlet so that I can compare the two sizings. Stride Rite does make shoes under another label for stores like Target as well as selling the Stride Rite/Munchkin brands at department stores. As for European brands like Elefanten, we windowshop at Nordstrom and occasionally pick up a pair there on sale. I personally don't like spending more than $25 a pair! My kids get new shoes every 2-4 months. DS has BIG feet for a 17 month old! (6 1/2 M-W) I also like my kids to have 3 pairs (tennis, sandal, dressier) in their current size. We try not to buy ahead unless it is a shoe that will be going out of season, ie boys sandals.

I don't have a problem buying shoes elsewhere as long as the fit is right, the shoe quality is good, and they have a flexible sole. Other brand shoes are in their closets, but are just not worn as much as their Stride Rites. There have also been Stride Rite shoes that we hated and were sent to the back of the closet, too!

All kids feet are not the same and everyone will have their own favorites for their kids' feet. It takes some time to try on lots of different brands to find a good fit! Good luck!

Rose
    mom 2 katie (33 months)
    & Jack (16 months)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I agree. For me the most important things is a flexible sole. I am willing to pay more for a shoe that they will wear every day. But I also just got DD a pair of sneakers at babyGap for $12 to wear to preschool. I don't see any sense in paying $40 for a shoe that is going to get mud and fingerpaint on it and she will only wear 2 mornings a week.

I have never had good luck at a StrideRite outlet. They do have a lot of shoes, but I never seem to find what I'm looking for. And since its an hour away for me, I would personally rather buy a shoe for $40 that I know fits and is what I want, than drive an hour each way to MAYBE find a similar shoe for $25. I probably spend $20 in gas to get to the outlet.

I do like Elefanten, but I only buy them on sale at Nordstrom.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We swear by Baby Gap/Gap Kids shoes. DS has fat feet (not wide, rather tall) and they fit great. The leather ones are all made in Brazil, and when they are on sale they go for as little as $10. I buy 3 pairs when they are on sale in all of the next sizes and keep my receipts. The Gap will take anything back with a receipt.

I have also had good luck with the KidSmart shoes at Target (or the Bay/Zellers in Canada). They are the ones "by the makers of Stride Rite".

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Jeanmick Guest

It depends on how often my DD will use the shoe...I usually buy her a really good quality summer sandal (Stride Rite for 20.00 on sale) and a good quality play shoe (I usually get her Nikes from Mervyn's because her feet are WIDE like her parents :P). Those are shoes I know she'll be using a lot. I then shop places like Payless for dress shoes since I know that she won't be using it that often. Shoes at our children's ages cost too much to only use them a couple of times! I totally agree w/ Beth and Rose...the most important thing is that the soles are flexible and you CAN get that at Payless if you look.

Just my two cents worth,

atlbaby Guest

I've always had Arielle in Stride Rite shoes (from the outlet) and have gotten her the Target brand of Stride Rite shoes twice (for a dressy pair and a water sandal pair).

I would like to get her a cheap pair from Baby Gap or maybe Old Navy that she can wear to her playgroups so that she won't get paint etc on "good" sneakers. I just checked at the Gap and Old Navy websites and they only come in whole sizes though (like the Target brand).:( Arielle's in a size 6 now but will probably go to a 6.5 in a month or 6 weeks I'd say. Do those of you who buy Gap shoes think I should just get her the 6 or the 7? My gut says that the 7 will be way too big right now, but I feel silly getting pair of shoes--ableit cheap ones--for maybe only 4-6 weeks!

Thanks,
    -Rachel
    Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
    #2 EDD 10/24/03:)

lukkykatt Guest

Our ped told me that she gets her kids' feet measured at the mall and then takes them to Payless! She did say to look for flexible soles though.

I've gotten DS' feet measured at the shoe store and then at the Stride Rite Outlet a few times, and there has never been any difference between the 2. I've also asked the people at the outlet to check how a particular shoe fit on their feet, and they are always very helpful. So depending on where you go, you can get good service and also save money.

I think the most important things to look for are: someone who really knows how to measure, and flexible soles. And if you have just had your child's foot measured, there is no reason why you can't buy another pair of shoes at Marshall's or somewhere else.

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So is there any place besides Nordstrom and Striderite that will measure your child's feet? I like the idea of having him measured at the mall and then buying the shoes elsewhere, but one stop shopping would be even better! :)

I do feel like a good fit is important. That's the main reason I splurged on the Striderites at Nordstrom- because they would measure his feet. I'm REALLY glad I did because I was all set to buy him size 3 shoes, and he was a 4 1/2 wide! But still, I'd rather not shell out $40 every three months if I can get a good fit somewhere else.

mom2kandj Guest

In our area, Nordstrom and Stride Rite do the best fittings because that is all their salespeople do and they know how to distract little people long enough to try on a couple pairs. I've been to a Dillard's that had a good variety of shoes, but no salespeople who had a clue! The only reason I get my kids measured at the mall and then at the outlet is that I might have a differing opinion than the fitter. I swear that Jack has a wide foot, but most fitters say that he has a medium. When we try on shoes for him, we lean toward shoes that run roomy. Whenever we go with a true medium width, he ends up with red marks across his instep until the shoes are broken in! Just my two cents!

Rose
    mom 2 katie (33 months)
    & Jack (16 months)

I think that shopping at payless etc is fine if you know what to look for in a shoe and the proper fit. When you have her measured if you can have them put on a pair of shoes that they say is good for her and check the shoe out...how it fits her foot etc and then go else where. I used to work at Stride Rite so I can give you a few tips.

First...there should be a thumbs width space between their toes and the tip of the shoe...this will give you just enough growing room without them tripping over their feet.

Next check the top of the shoe from side to side....across the laces etc. This should not be too tight fitting, you should be able to squeeze the shoe a little around the foot...if the shoe is too wide you will squeeze a lot...too tight and it will feel like a tight glove...just right it will feel comfortable, you can feel foot with out it being squished or moving too freely.

Also check the heel. the shoe should not easily pull off or have too much space at the heel, it will cause blisters and improper balance etc. You dont want their foot to fall out of the shoe when walking but dont want it squished either.

Finally flexibility is important too. PErsonally I dont like a lot of kids shoes because of how heavy some of the character shoes are and how unflexible they are. You should be able to bend the shoe without much resistance as they would bend their foot etc. Especially if she is little you want a shoe which will move with her not make her trip over her own feet!

I hope this helps some.....I just got Angela some cute shoes at PAyless and am probably heading back to get some gym shoes as she has outgrown hers. I always said I wanted to get her some good Stride Rite shoes....I might one of these days but with the prices good and the shoes lasting so well even with all the play I just might not!

BTW....Payless has a great return policy...I had her last pair of mary janes for about a month and part of the velcro closure was coming undone...when I was there buying her a new pair of sandals...I mentioned it to the clerk and immediatly they told me to go and get a new pair, no questions asked! Gotta love that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast