Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Are we too busy???

So I just finished a book, called "The Overscheduled Child: How to Avoid the Hyper Parenting Trap" and its made me take a look at my schedule. In general, I really try not to overdo things and think I'm pretty easy going. But we DO have an actitvity every single day. Here's our schedule:

Monday: speech pathologist does a home visit 11:00 - 11:45
    Tuesday: preschool from 9 - 1
    Wednesday: Park&Rec class from 11-11:45
    Thursday: preschool 9 - 1
    Friday: playgroup from 10:30 - ??

Honestly, I am more worried about next fall, since DD will move to 3 days a week of preschool. I like being able to take a class with her, but I don't know where I'd fit that in if she's still seeing the speech pathologist.

I don't FEEL rushed, but I'm wondering what others do?
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

raynjen Guest

Default RE: Are we too busy???

I think that you are doing just fine. As long as you don't find yourself frantically rushing your DD from one activity to another you are doing great. I know the worry though - if you aren't doing enough, if you are doing too much, etc. I think as long as you (or more importantly, your daughter) don't feel stressed then you are okay.

I think this is something that we need to worry about more later on when we have to work scouting, chorus, soccer, and karate around their art appreciation class (and all this is "after school").

I know, for me, it is important to have at least one scheduled activity a day so that we get up and get motivated. Otherwise it becomes too easy to sit in your PJ's all day (and after all, isn't that what Saturdays are for?)

We have the following schedule:

Monday - nursery school 9:00 - 1:00
    Tuesday - gymnastics (mommy & me) 10:15 - 11:00
    Wednesday - nursery school 9:00 - 1:00
    Thursday - errands and lunch with Daddy
    Friday - nursery school 9:00 - 1:00

Hope that helps!

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

Here's our schedule:

1st Monday of the month--playtime with her friends at church while Mommy's at Bible study.

Every Sunday-- play time with her friends at church while I'm in church and Sunday school

That's it.... :D

We hit the library about twice a month and occasionally get together with another friend to play or just hang out.

I like to keep my schedule VERY open and personally, I am such a homebody, that if I have plans to leave the house more than 2X a week, *I* feel overscheduled! LOL I love to be home and spend time on the living room floor, playing and reading books, so that's what we do. :D
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

oops, double post
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Don't forget Saturday and Sunday! I know it's the weekend, but it can be down time for you and her. Plus I think it depends a lot on the person. In general, I tend to socialize less than some people I know, so I think our schedule is less full as a reflection of that. My friends who are "social butterflies" have schedules that are a bit more packed but their kids don't seem to suffer.

This is our current schedule:

Monday (Every other): MOPS 9-11:30
    Tuesday: Grandma Visits 9-1:30
    Friday: Toddler Class 11:30-1
    Sunday: Sunday School 9-12:00 (I know it might seem strange to count this, but it wipes him out more than any other activity we have all week!)

I'm thinking about adding a Library visit on Thursdays or a swiming class- but you're right, it's so hard to know where the line is for over-scheduling vs. not getting out enough.

christic Guest

Well, I don't think your schedule looks too hectic, especially since you're at home for the speech pathologist and its a single short class.

My situation is different since I work 3 days a week. My daughter is at a small daycare 2 days and home with her dad 1 day. Because I only have two days during the week home with her I decided that 1 of those would be completely unscheduled. We have a playgroup one morning and then for a while we took a class on the other morning but it ended up feeling like too much for us.

sarasprings Guest

We, too, do something everyday:

M: library playgroup AND Waldorf playgroup
    T: children's museum
    W: Barnes and Noble storytime (our neighbor reads the story)
    R: library playgroup/day at friends' house (we're gone from 9:00-4:30)
    F: neighborhood friends come over

During the fall, I wanted something everyday for wintertime, but now that it's winter, I actually feel like we are okay at home. I think it's because now that DS is 21 months, we spend time doing house things like laundry, making pretzels, making breakfast, etc.

I do skip Wed if we are too busy. Friday is pretty relaxing because we stay at home.

It's a hard call, because DS likes getting out and seems to love the different things we're doing, but some weeks, I feel like it is too much.

Here is our schedule:

Monday - free day. I usually take him on errands or we meet up with friends...he used to have My Gym on Mondays...

Tuesday - preschool from 9-1

Wednesday - playdate day

Thursday - preschool from 9-1

Friday - playgroup from 10-12

If the weather is decent, I will take him outside to play or we go to the park. I am considering signing up for either a music class or an art class through the town. I miss our Mommy & Me day...we used to go to My Gym on Mondays and then have lunch out. It was also a fun time for me and I love having the alone time with him.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Jeanmick Guest

Here's our schedule:

Monday: Preschool from 10:00-11:30
    Tuesday: Gymnastics/Dance from 10:00-11:00
    Wednesday: Library story time from 10:00-10:30 (DD goes with my mother)
    Thursday: nothing scheduled
    Friday: nothing scheduled

Thursday and Fridays are usually reserved for errands-type activites, chores or get-together with friends, that kind of thing.

I'll echo the other posters. I don't think you've overscheduled. There's nothing wrong with having something to do everyday as long as you've built-in time "down" time for both you and your DD, which I'm sure you have.

COElizabeth Guest

We have only a music class on Monday evening, 5:15-5:45, and DH takes James to that if he gets off work in time. I truly think we need more activities! We do sometimes meet friends at the Children's Museum, zoo, etc., but the music class is the only regularly scheduled activity.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast