Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default RE: What to do about a toddler who refuses to sleep in a bed?

Well lord knows I don't know much...but I'd hate for them to take away her "nest"...I'm a nest person, I have my pillow, a blanket and my down comforter...I never travel without all three...

I like that this little girl has such comfort and really hope they don't take that away...I'd rather my child sleep on a kitchen floor (if they chose) with their loving nest than unhappy in a bed personally...but that is just me...

I couldn't dream in a million years that removing her comfort is the thing to do...

I hope they don't!!!!
    Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Thanks all!

Just an FYI, the bribery with the hand stamps actually worked! My friend's DD is now happily sleeping in her big girl bed. As long as she gets her Dora hand stamp afterwards, she's a happy girl. :) I think she just needed some time!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

efwalsh Guest

I'd like to jump here with a related question...something that's really been weighing on my mind.

I have a 2-1/2 year old who'd still sleeping in a crib with the tent thing on top (he started climbing out a year ago..we tried the big boy bed last fall but after repeatedly putting him back to bed 15 times every night I gave up). Anyhow, we're expecting our second baby in August and I'd like to transition our son Evan to a regular bed by then...

Here's the catch...

One reason I waited on the big bed before is b/c we've been going through so many changes as a family. After my husband lost his job, he moved to CA for 4 months for a short-term assignment while Evan and I stayed with my parents (in a not-very-child-friendly house, hence my decision to stay with the crib tent). We've all three been together in CA for the past three months, but now are planning to move again by June or July. I was planning on trying to get Evan into a regular bed this summer, but now I'm wondering if that's just too many changes... with a new baby on top of it. (I did decide to push off potty training until he's three, which was a huge relief.) But I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting until the baby's born...I've heard people say do it either 3 months before or 3 months AFTER the baby. But then I'm afraid that Evan will have issues giving up his crib to the new baby.

Adding to the complication is that we still co-sleep with Evan on occasion, maybe 1/2 the time. We were intent on getting him into his own bed but during all the transition we didn't have the heart to force it on him. I'll probably keep the new baby in our room (in arms reach co-sleeper or Pak-n-play) as we did with Evan for the first 4 months or so, but I'd like to get her/him used to at least napping in the crib. Oh, and Evan won't nap if he's not in the crib...I try to have him sleep on my bed on occasion but he's up and running around or climbing under the bed.

I know I've been inconsistent but just trying to keep my sanity with all that's going on :-> But at this rate, I'm worried that Evan could be in the crib/our bed until he's in college. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2