Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    lukkykatt Guest

Default RE: How do you grocery shop with toddler?

I usually go in the morning after I have dropped my older son off at preschool. I keep DS in the cart and I put on the seat belt as tight as I can. I bring snacks and a drink. When I get to the cashier (and yes, I know who is the fastest and get into his aisle if he is there), I organize all of my items so that all the things that need to go in the freezer or fefrigerator are together. When I get home, I unload the bags while DS is still in the car. Then I bring him in and at least put the cold items away. If he's not being helpful, then I don't worry about the rest until naptime.

Quite a little routine I've had to develop, huh? And yes, I used to do Peapod in the early days. Grocery shopping with an newborn and toddler was beyond me. Nowadays shopping by myself is a little slice of heaven!

sugarsnappea Guest

One toddler was easy, if we went after her nap. 2 is posing quite a challenge. I now have to resort to putting my big girl in the "backseat". I NEVER wanted to allow this, but what else can I do. She is just too crazy to allow free rein anywhere, we were scolded at the library yesterday. :(
    She knows she must stay seated, and arranges the groceries for me in the cart. It actually can be fun, if the baby is sleeping. I put the baby in her carrier at the front of the cart. This whole processed is reversed at Costco, since the backseats can accomodate the baby carseat.

The biggest problem I have encountered is the lack of space after groceries are packed into paper bags.
    The poor baggers look at me like I am a complete weirdo! They ask me where to put the 10 bags. YIkes! There is no room for a toddler and BAGs of groceries. I usually carry about 4 and stuff the rest around my poor child, pushing the cart as fast as I can. :) I am learning to shop more often for less stuff.

Jack absolutely hates to be in the cart, so we've instituted a behave or ride in the cart policy that seems to work pretty well. Letting him help by putting things in the cart is a big hit -sometimes I take things out of the cart for him to put back in if I don't have a good item at hand. Also, having him help push is very effective.

You're not doing anything wrong, just figuring out how to deal with your toddler and it's not easy! Jack was stacking up cottage cheese containers in the fridge section yesterday and most people thought it was adorable but at least one little old lady clearly thought I was letting my child behave very poorly. Oh well!

Laurel
    Mama to Jack, 6/4/02

Honestly i avoid trying to take my 3yo LOL :D

If i cannot, well sometimes he'll stay in the cart, a cart cover has actually oddly enough helped in this area, it make the cart "cushy" ;)

Having them help, you know ask them to pick up this and that..obviously not the breakables but the ok to drop stuff, ds loves to shop..almost too much actually as he tends to make his own little purchases lol

Snacks & toys can help, have a list...as you forget REAL fast what on earth you are there for, plus which isn't like all stores but our one food store has this seasonal lane, where they usually have different things out..easter etc something fun to go look at to take a different twist on the whole shopping trip..ds likes looking at all the neat things they have there plus sitting on all the spring outdoor furniture they haul out this time of year.

I think also the important thing to realize is some days it just is not gonna work out well and you may need to do a quick in/out..i have brought in a stroller on days like this and done a quick-shop for the must haves for the momment & waited for the longer trip another day.

It does gets somewhat easier tho, my 5 & 8yo are quite helpful at the store now, altho the i wants still creeps in sometimes :+

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/...blobflower.gif

luvbeinmama Guest

Juice. I think I always have their juice/water with me.

I make use of cool carts when available. Vons sometimes has these carts with a little "car" seat up in front of the cart (complete with belts). Ralphs has car carts but they CANNOT be used with 2 kids if one is in an infant seat unless you are buying just a few small items. When those are not available, DD is in the seat part and DS is walking (usually) or in the large part of the cart making room for the stuff, or I put stuff below. (I don't let him walk around in Costco or certain other stores where it's too crowded.) DS is a handful, but manageable for the most part. He likes the little carts for kids, but sometimes he gets half-way through the store and wants ME to push it for him. LOL! Yeah, right... I just put his stuff in my cart at that point. I've always just taken the kids with me, so they & I have just kind of gotten used to managing. It's pretty rare that I'm able to go by myself. Anyway, I will also put DS in the cart if he is misbehaving, and he knows it. I've had to do that in the past, not really anymore.

HTH.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I second having snacks and drinks available. And signing also really works for us! I also kepe up a running commentary through the store about what we see and do.

All that being said, sometimes she will sit in the cart happily and sometimes NOT happily. Recently we have negotiated a deal. :) She can get down and walk, but she has to stay close by me and do what I say or its back in the cart. After a couple tests of that rule, she now does pretty well. She walked with me through Target yesterday for about an hour. I felt like we had a major breakthrough!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

cma Guest

I put bells on all of DD's shoes...so when she's walking alongside me at the store I can hear her while reading ingredient labels!

DD doesn't like the grocery cart...which is fine. DS is just starting to like sitting in there.

I try to grocery shop when DD is at her sit 'n play. But if that's not possible, then I bring both kids to the store. It's some sort of combination of one in the cart and one in a sling or one walking along with me. And those bells help a lot!

HTH

>She is just too crazy to allow free rein anywhere,
    >we were scolded at the library yesterday. :(

Yes, I get scolded on a weekly basis at the grocery store because my daugher climbs out of the seat and then runs everywhere. I can chase her while I am shopping, but once I am in line, forget it. Strangers regularly lead her back to me in line, but it always seems to end with her crying, me sweating, and the entire store glaring at us.

I may be somewhat to blame because I like grocery shopping and am none to speedy about it, although I do come with a list, categorized according to the aisles at the grocery store. I give my daughter snacks, but they only entertain halfway through the shopping expedition. What can I say? We just keep muddling through, but thanks to all who offered their tricks!

-- Karen
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Chelsey333 Guest

Some days are better than others. I go first thing in the morning when there will be less people and less lines, Mondays usually. I also make sure that I bring a snack. A snack helps out for at least 20 minutes. I don't usually let him out of the cart, bec that would be a nightmare. Usually when we get to the checkout, that is when things get a little rocky. But lately I try to distract him by having him help me put things on the counter. That helps out a lot.

Kimberly H Guest

You're all too brave for me!

I wait until Monday night and Mia's in bed, then I take the 15 year old and we shop together, then we use the self-check at Wal-Mart... I scan, he bags.

When we get home, he unloads, I put away. Dad provides the $$ for take-out that night and usually handles Mia before we go so I can make the shopping list and do whatever else needs to be done that night.

Apparently I grocery shopped with two toddlers eons ago when the boys were little, but it must've been a nightmare of a memory because I sure don't remember it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast