Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: How to teach her to go down stairs?

I tried to teach DS to go down backwards, or to go down forwards on his bottom. But he wanted nothing to do with that. He sees mommy and daddy walking down frontwards holding the handrail, so that is what he wanted to do (and did it one day himself and fell halfway down the stairs! :() So he walks down the steps frontwards, one step at a time, with me holding one hand and his other hand on the handrail or wall. The past couple of days I have been trying to let go and let him go down himself for a couple of steps. He seems to like the security of holding on to me though, and doesn't want to let go yet. Or if he lets go he climbs back up the stairs and laughs. So I guess I will be helping him down the stairs for a while longer.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

edited to fix typo

Default RE: How to teach her to go down stairs?

Had the same problems with Matthew. And it irked me that his little friend at one year's old could walk up and down the stairs like you or I!

I have learned that they will do it in their own time. You can teach them but when it comes down to it, it is really up to them. There was a study done like this with twins. One was shown how to do it; the other was left alone. They eventually both did at around the same time...
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2