raynjen Guest

Default Bizarre night time behavior

My husband went to check in on our daughter last night (about 2 hours past when she went to sleep) and she was standing on her bed in the wreckage of a plant. She had potting soil all over the place (including in her mouth - yuck!) I came and got her while he repaired her room and I noticed that she seemed very, I dunno, lethargic. She was also very obedient. I mean follow my instructions to the letter as if hypnotized obedient. I got the feeling that, although she was responding to us, that she still was asleep.

Is that possible? Does anyone know anything about sleep-walking or similar behaviors? Is this something I should call the pediatrician about? (Not about possible poisoning or anything, I called poison control that evening and they reassured me that she would be fine in that regard.)

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)
    Architect in a previous life!

Default RE: Bizarre night time behavior

Jen:

It does sound like Noelle is sleep walking. My friend's daughter used to sleep walk and would come downstairs, get on the couch with her, say things that didn't make sense, and try to watch tv. When she came down, my friend would tell her to get back into bed and she would. You might want to ask the ped. for some more info about sleep walking.

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies...haracter03.gif
    Proud Mommy to Martie

I used to sleep walk when I was a small child. My parents told me I would walk downstairs to their bedroom, stand by the bed until one of them woke up, they would ask if I wanted a hug or kiss so I would give them a huge hug and a big kiss, and then they would say, "go back to bed!" and I would. Very odd. It only happened a handful of times.

Have you been gardening with Noelle?
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

raynjen Guest

Your question made me laugh =). We live in a concrete building on above a concrete slab - and I have a deadly hand with plants. So, no, we haven't been gardening at all.

I think I will call the pediatrician and see what I need to be concerned about. I surveyed her room and our house again yesterday to see what new provisions could be made for someone who is wandering around in less than full capacity.

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)

I remember my parents telling me that my pediatrician wasn't too concerned because sleepwalking kids generally seem to be more aware than they are--for instance, they rarely fall down stairs, which was a real concern for my parents. However, that was a while ago and I'm sure there has been much research done since I was sleepwalking almost 30 years ago.

I wonder what she was doing with the plant--I thought she might be doing a little sleep-gardening because she'd done it with you earlier. Children are wondrous beings, aren't they? Maybe she was being a tiger in the jungle!
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

sweetbasil Guest

I've read that sleepwalking generally starts around age 4-5, so maybe she's just early! I was a sleepwalker/sleeptalker and DS#1 is a sleeptalker already, so I'm just waiting for the night when we find him wandering around the house. When I was little (7 or 8), my parents found me walking out the front door of our house--- we set our security alarm at night, so I hope Kellen can't get that far ;)

If only you could bottle that "very obedient...follow my instructions to the letter as if hypnotized obedient" and sell it, you'd be a bazillionaire! Heck, I'd be your first customer :D

raynjen Guest

Thanks y'all, I knew you guys would have some sound advice. N has done anything like this since that one episode, but we have been having sleep problems recently. She has been taking longer and longer naps and then staying awake until all hours of the night. I deliberately eliminated the nap today to see how her night would go - so far so good!

Jein in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 3/4)