workaholic Guest

Default Need help at bedtime. Need good advice!

My son has always been a night owl. Now that he is going to creative playtime 3 days a week, I'm trying to get him in the bed at an earlier time. Plus, I think it's time for DH and I to starting spending a little time together without DS. So, I'm working on getting him in bed a littler earlier, say no later than 9:30. However, I also want him to start sleeping in his bed.

He only slept in his crib for about 3 months right after he starting sleeping throught the night. When he starting teething he was back in our bed and has been. We can usually put him in his bed after he falls asleep or lay with him in his (twin bed with sid rails). He does not go to sleep on his own. That would take a miracle. The problem is, he gets up in the middle of the night and climbs back in our bed. We usually don't even notice until later.

So, what should I do. When he does sleep all night in his bed I feel much more rested. So I'm doing this for DS and myself. Should I put a gate at his door? Should I just let him keep getting into our bed? I'm know I should start putting him in his bed everynight from now on.

I also need advice on teaching him to go to sleep on his own. I love laying with him and cuddling, he's a cuddler. But I also want him to start being a little independant at bedtime.

Even a book recommendation would be good.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Aimee Larsen
    Momma to Cooper
    Crossing fingers for another...
    Owner: Ella-Bags and www.ella-bags.com

Sarah1 Guest

Default RE: Need help at bedtime. Need good advice!

I have no advice for you--but based on your situation, I would recommend checking out Weissbluth's book (Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child) or Ferber's book (Solve your Child's Sleep Problems). You might actually find Ferber's book more useful since he focuses more on solving problems, whereas Weissbluth's approach is a bit more centered on establishing good sleeping habits. I have found both books to be great resources although I don't necessarily love everything these guys have to say.

You might check out some excerpts of one or both books on Amazon to see what you think before buying. I own both books and have found both to be useful resources, but everyone is different!

Good luck! HTH :)