Default What Is Going On with DS?

I don't know what to make of this. DS has been really good about going to bed at night. We got into a routine and he would go to his crib without fussing, generally. However, in the last couple of weeks he doesn't usually fight going upstairs, but when we get there, he wants to go to Mommy and Daddy's room, not his room. When I take him into his room, he holds me really tightly and says "Mama, Mama, Mama" and points towards my room.

When he wakes in the middle of the night or early morning, he usually does come to our room and bed, nurses back to sleep and then stays there until waking.

I thought that he might be scared of something in his room for some reason. So, last night, I looked behind the blind, under the bed, in the closet, etc. and showed him nothing was there. That seemed to help and he went to sleep. Tonight I tried the same thing and it didn't work at all. He screamed and screamed when I left the room, although only for a few minutes and then went to sleep.

I'm not sure what's going on with him. Any thoughts about the problem and how to correct it?
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

Torey Guest

Default RE: What Is Going On with DS?

My DD is several months younger than your DS, but she was freaking out about going to bed about a month ago. I realized that maybe it was b/c we were putting her to bed later (and consequently it was dark already) whereas earlier in the summer it was still light when we were putting her to bed. I started leaving her light on when she went to bed, so she wouldn't be afraid of the dark and she could play in her crib a little while if she wanted to before going to sleep. She also started playing with her Baby Tad a lot before going to sleep (something she got for Christmas, but never really played with much). She has been great about going to bed, and I just go in later and turn off her light.

So after my long story, maybe your DS is afraid of the dark?

newbelly2002 Guest

Default RE: What Is Going On with DS?

We're having some of the same dilemas. Right after turning two, within days, Dante decided he didn't want to nap. This from a regular 3 hour napper the week before. Then he decided that only Papa could put him down for naps. Then he decided he didn't want to go to sleep at night at all. We'd do our normal routine of books, water and talking and then he would start to cry inconsolably: "no bed! no bed." We've stayed firm but persistent and it *seems* to be working. It's not a light issue for us as we're in the great white north so it stays light past his bedtime still.

One thing that has really helped is giving him something to look forward to. "First you go to sleep. Then tomorrow you'll go to kindergarten/play with your train/see Grandpa/play with mama." That seems to get him over the hump--most nights.

Good luck!

Paula
    Mama to Dante, 8/02