Default WWYD? DD invited to a no-gift party.

DD got an invitation to a "friend" party -- no special occaision. The family is Jehovah's witness and doesn't celebrate birthdays. We were asked not to bring a gift. My offer to bring a food item (brownies) was politely declined. I feel like I can't just show up empty-handed. What would you do? Bring a gift, bring a plate of cookies, or just bring ourselves?

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: WWYD? DD invited to a no-gift party.

I they ar JWs I would not bring a gift. If they already declined you bringing food I would not do that either. But I can certainly relate to showing up empty-handed.
    How about bringing a camera and taking some cute photos and then have your daughter make a collage or something and send it afterwards?
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

hjdong Guest

That's a great idea! I had a no gift party (granted, I'm not JW) and would have loved that. On a similiar vien, a friend of mine made a brag book for DS that she brought to the party of a trip we took to the zoo with her and her son. But again, because of their religion, that might not work.

Sarah1 Guest

I agree w/the other posters--I wouldn't bring anything. I like the idea of taking pictures, though.

luvbeinmama Guest

Try to remember that in order for someone to give (a good time, food, games, etc.), someone else must receive. Be a gracious receiver (guest) and do not bring anything, as requested. Of course, I know it is hard to receive and not have anything to give as thanks, but your being there will be thanks enough.

brubeck Guest

Afterward could you send a very nice thank you note and a plant/flowers?

Thanks for your responses. Good insights and great ideas! We will just bring ourselves, and I'll try to take some great pictures. :)