Default "Encouraging" one nap versus two

I figured I would put this here instead of the Baby Lounge since you girls are the experts. Let's just say that I need a break for 2 days a week in the mornings and I have been checking out the Mother's morning out programs around here. Ryan is still at 2 naps a day around 9:30 and 1:30 and each averages an hour to an hour and a half pretty reliably. He is up between 5-6:30 am (huge range lately for some reason despite same bedtime and no teething going on) and goes down between 7- 7:30 pm every night. The days he has slept late meaning until 6:30 or the rare 7 am, I have tried for one nap around lunch but he normally needs it a little earlier.

My big question is how can I encourage, force, adjust his nap schedule? I feel guilty for even thinking about it since it goes against my whole belief of letting him lead the natural rhythm of his own body clock, but I am worn out. I know it's because he is an energetic toddler and I am entering month 7 of pregnancy, but I am dying!!!! I don't mean to sound like a whiner but I think I need this for my sanity.

The programs seem to all start around 8:45 and end at noon, btw.

TIA. :)
    Mom to R and R

Kimberly H Guest

Default RE: "Encouraging" one nap versus two

Mia normally gets up at 6-7am and goes to bed between 7:15-7:45pm. If Mia's home with me - weekend or holiday - she invariably starts rubbing her eyes and getting fussy by 10am. If she's at daycare, she doesn't stop until after lunch when they put them down for a nap at 12:30pm or so. She sleeps 1-2 hours at daycare.

If I put her down for a morning nap at home, she can't make it to dinner/bedtime and ends up crashing at 3:30-4pm and making us, and herself, miserable that night with a messed up schedule.

I think Ryan would probably do fine at MMO with all of the extra stimulation from other little folks, and hopefully give you 2.5-3 hours of an afternoon nap when he gets home. Give it a try!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I totally agree. All the extra stimulation will keep him awake. MMO will be much more exciting than being at home. ;) Also, being in the different environment will help him to stay awake. I say try it!

I wouldn't even worry about altering his schedule. Let him nap at home the other 5 days and I doubt it will affecthis schedule that much.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

LOVE the new avatar! She is such a big girl. :)

I think I will try it instead of being so stressed about the change in the schedule. I guess I was just looking for permission, YKWIM?
    Mom to R and R