LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default How much toddler pickyness do you tolerate?

cross-posted in baby lounge . . .

And where do you draw the line? DD is starting to get REALLY opinionated. She can have a major meltdown over the particular cup or bib she wants, the way I cut (or don't cut) her banana, etc. But, it's never the same thing that sends her over the edge. Yesterday, she had a fit because she wanted the duck bib. Today, I put the duck bib on her and she wailed. Some days it's the purple cup, some days it's the blue one, etc. You get the idea. I don't want to create a spoiled toddler by catering to her every whim, but I don't know how much of this is just her developmental stage, and how much of it is being willfully choosy. I'll cross-post this in the toddler lounge. Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    21 months and counting!

mcmorfit Guest

Default RE: How much toddler pickyness do you tolerate?

Well, first off, I guess it depends on the day!

What we have been trying with our own Lucy is to give her as many options as possible - so whatever we do we give her two choices. "Do you want the purple sippy or yellow one". "Do you want the black jacket or purple jacket?". Most of the time it works, however this morning she didn't want anything for breakfast, so then the question was "do you want your toast first or your eggs?"

DD is very independent and has her own opinions about a lot of things, so we've been trying to set boundaries within what our family lives by and the questions have been helping out.

lukkykatt Guest

We do the same thing - give 2 choices. It works pretty well. Then when DS is fighting me over doing something like getting into bed, I ask him if he would like to climb in himself or for me to put him in - works like a charm.

I also try to only fight the big battles and let some of the smaller stuff go - otherwise we would be fighting over everything.

I haven't encountered this yet. Just general fussiness. I wonder if Martie is having fits because I'm not putting the right bib on her. Ay!

-Sonia