luvbeinmama Guest

Default AAAUUUGHHH! DD climbed out of her crib... with ease!!!

Ack! She did not want to go to sleep... :( I'm not ready to put her in a real bed yet!!! She's still a baby!!! WAAAAHHHHH!!!! (whine, whine, pout, pout)

Okay, okay, I suppose it's not really that bad. It's probably a good move for her. She IS 27 mos. after all. I just want to hang onto her baby/toddler self for a while longer. She still has that great smell when she wakes up. (sigh!) I LIKE getting her up in the morning. I don't WANT her to get herself up yet.

Well, off we go to get a bed for her...

brubeck Guest

Default RE: AAAUUUGHHH! DD climbed out of her crib... with ease!!!

It's not as bad as it sounds. DS has been in a real bed for more than 6 months and he is STILL a baby (except after I get his hair cut and he looks like a 'little man' for a month or so). You can always keep the monitor in her room and go in and get her up as she is stirring if you want to be the one to 'get' her up.

It is a little sad losing the crib though. When ours went DD and DS and I were all outside waving goodbye as the SA truck drove it away.... :(

lukkykatt Guest

You're doing really well! DS climbed out of his crib at 18 months - I was ready to have a nervous breakdown!

Just think - it will probably take about a month for the bed to be delivered once you pick it out.

I was really sad when we parted with our crib too! I sold it to a friend who understood my blues and told me I could visit it :) I haven't yet taken her up on that...

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Colin climbed out of his crib last fall, but was NOT ready for a big boy bed. So we got a crib tent from BRU. He loves it!! IMO, his tented crib is a much safer place for him than a big boy bed!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

luvbeinmama Guest

Default UPDATE: Going okay for now (Oh no... this is turning into the nightmare I thought it would... HELP!)

UPDATE: Okay, so, like I said, I took her crib down last Saturday and stashed it in the garage. I put the crib mattress on the floor where her crib was and arranged her animals in it as usual. Put the rocker back in place. So it looks the same except no crib. So since Sunday she has been going to sleep with her bottle / rocking chair as usual (YAYYYYY!!!). She really likes getting up & coming out to get us in the morning.

BONUS: She had been unzipping her jammies & undoing her diaper in the mornings and occaisionally painting with poop. x( BUT she doesn't do this now as she is not stuck in her room... she just comes out & gets us without getting undressed at all! :D

So, okay, the three nights in a row got me out of sorts last week, but things are looking up again. Here is a cute pic of dd & ds in her "new bed".

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20754.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20755.jpg

So, okay, I've put her on a fold out mattress beside her crib for the last couple of nights. And for the THIRD night in a row she did NOT fall asleep with her milk bottle at night (she usually just falls asleep while I rock her & she drinks). So now I have to figure out how to get her to relax and go to sleep at night and I am pulling my hair out! Tonight we struggled a bit and I finally just went in and told her I would hold & rock her to help her sleep and she was NOT going to lay down to sleep (because she would just play). I FINALLY got her to sleep at 10 pm (about 15 min ago). If this keeps up for long I'm going to go nuts. I'm going to remove the crib and put the crib mattress on the floor and ditch the fold out mattress, hopefully tomorrow, so I can put the rocking chair back in her room (it's small... about 9x9). That will HOPEFULLY help with the routine maintenance as the only difference with be the lack of a "cage" for her bed. I can put her animals & blankets in relatively the same arrangement and try for some continuity. My hugest problem now is that I now have to teach her to lay down and go to sleep on a mattress on those days where she is too awake to fall asleep during the rock/bottle routine. AND the crib/bed transition was where I got rid of DS's bottle, but I don't see that as an option here. Augh! DS was & is a great sleeper, I'm having a hard time dealing with DD's sleep issues. She is soooo darn STUBBORN! A good thing, I know, but not when you just want her to go to sleep. Can I run screaming now? No? Oh, well, maybe you ladies have some suggestions? x(

ETA: I removed the crib & put the mattress on the floor today, so the rocking chair is back in place... I'll post another update later.

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: UPDATE: Going okay for now (Oh no... this is turning into the nightmare I thought it would... HELP!)

How's it going?

I remember when Ds stopped nursing to sleep there was that panic "Now what do we do?" We just got more strict with a "routine" so he knows what to expect. Of course, maybe it's easier since we only have one, but the routine is about 1/2 an hour, unless you could the previous 1/2 hour of calm time. We do usual bedtime stuff (brush teeth, PJs) and then a story in bed. Then I either turn on his fisher price aquarium, or more recently he prefers a relaxation CD. Sometimes he falls asleep on his own, sometimes one of us needs to lay down.

HTH!

luvbeinmama Guest

Default RE: UPDATE: Going okay for now (Oh no... this is turning into the nightmare I thought it would... HELP!)

Well, it's actually been going fine. With the crib in the garage and the mattress on the floor and the room the way it was before (basically), I've been sticking with the old routine and it's been working. We had a bit of a problem with night waking for a couple weeks, but I've solved that by creating a makeshift "bumper" for her with some big blankets right beside her mattress at night. It's been keeping her on the mattress and under the blankets, so she's not roaming the room in her sleep anymore. Thus, she is not waking up cold at 2 or 3 am. So she is sleeping through. I think she is really enjoying being able to just come right out of her room when she wakes up. Gives her a some empowerment. So, we are back into the swing of things.

I haven't decided whether to put her in DS's old toddler bed (a friend has it, but doesn't need it yet). The mattress is working for now, though. I'm going to have to do some re-arranging in her room soon, too. So we may go straight to a twin. I fully expect her to potty train this summer, so we'll be getting rid of the changing table (one of my favorite baby items!), too.

[sigh] I love the cuddling of the baby age, but am glad to be out of that phase. I love toddlers! They just are too cute for words!

jlcana Guest

That's grest news! We put DS 1 in twin racecar bed right from crib at 28 months as I was due with DS 2 in 2 months. Isn't it great when toddlers can do things for themselves and are so proud of it? It's the cutest thing!

I'd go straight to a twin, there's a lot more bed and bedding selections. Plus they look like babies again in such a big bed!

Good luck with potty training!

Lisa
    Christopher 3/18/02
    Andrew 9/28/04