Default Sleep issues in 3 year old - WWYD?

Ok, I can't complain since I've made it 3 years without any sleep problems with DS. Now, however, he is having a hard time getting to sleep at night and I'm not sure what's the best way to get his schedule back on track.

A little history - he has been going to bed about 8:30-9:30 and waking between 7-7:30 for quite awhile. He has also been taking a 2.5-3hr nap starting 1-1:30. A couple of weeks ago, right around his birthday, he stayed up really late (11pm) and then slept in until 8:30 or 9. Then, his nap started later and he wasn't ready for bed at the normal time. This seems to have competely thrown him off! We have tried to skip the nap hoping that he will be tired that night - and he is! But he still sleeps until 8-8:30 and then the nap is later and it starts all over! Last night I thought he had finally gone to sleep but when I went up at 11pm he was sitting up in bed "reading" a book! Some nights it has been closer to midnight and he's still awake. I try to be done with the bedtime routine by 9:30 but he has become the master of procrastinating since moving to his big-boy bed and potty training!

So, if you're still with me, just how much sleep does a 3yr old need? How many are still napping? My thoughts are to not let him take too long a nap, but should I start waking him earlier so he will be ready to nap earlier? He just now went down at 2pm but I had to wake him at 8am to get ready for preschool. I guess I'm looking for ideas on what to manipulate - morning rising, naps, both, neither?!

I really don't want to keep him on a later schedule because it doesn't leave DH and I any time alone since DD in on an earlier schedule. DH goes to bed early since he has to get up early, and I'm stuck up late until DS falls asleep. Ugh!

I really appreciate any advice. He really does seem to still need a nap (I need it too!) because without one, he is so grumpy by dinner time.

TIA!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Sleep issues in 3 year old - WWYD?

My DD was doing something very similar a few months ago. We discovered that we had to take away her nap or else she was simply not tired enought to go to sleep at night.

I tried shortening the nap, napping every other day, etc., to no avail. The first week with no naps was HARD. She got extremely cranky. But for me, the nighttime ease of going to sleep more than made up for it.

After about 2 weeks, not napping was a breeze, and (dare I say it?), I now prefer it. It frees up my day so much to not have to plan around her nap time.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Default RE: Sleep issues in 3 year old - WWYD?

Oh Beth, I was afraid someone would suggest this! I'm just not ready to give up the nap! It would free up my day if I didn't have DD who takes 2 naps/day! Now, if only she would switch to 1 nap - she is almost 17months - that would really free up my day!!

Actually, it would give DS and I time to do things while DD naps - we struggle to do age-appropriate things with him that are choking hazards for DD. And, this summer it would be nice for him to be able to play more outside in the afternoons.

I need to think about this some more. Yesterday and today, I woke him after 1.5hrs and before 4pm. He was asleep both nights by 10pm. I'm hoping that if he just gets back to waking a little earlier he will fall asleep easier. We'll see...

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind if things don't improve.