Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Changing Bedtimes

Colwyn has had a consistent bedtime at 7:00pm since he was about 10 months old (he's 19 months now). He has always done fine with that bedtime, and whenever we'd have to keep him up later, he'd end up waking earlier than usual.

Lately, though, he's been fine with going into his crib at 7:00pm but then he stays awake until at least 7:30pm, if not 8:00pm. His wake up time hasn't been any earlier than usual, and his naps haven't changed either. I didn't think it was teething or anything except until last night, when he actually cried a few times, and we ended up giving him Tylenol (and he fell asleep right after that). He has been chewing on his fingers during the day lately, but hasn't been especially grumpy or anything.

My husband doesn't come home until at least 6:30pm, and sometimes as late as 7:20pm. Is Colwyn just missing his daddy, or is he teething, or does he actually need a later bedtime?

I don't have a problem with him staying up later, so long as he's going to be happy the next day, you know? Do toddlers normally adjust their bedtimes like this?

Thanks!

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Changing Bedtimes

We put DD to bed between 7:00 and 7:30, and have done so since she was about 6 months old. Some nights, she goes right to sleep, and other nights she talks and plays in bed for up to an hour. It really depends on what her naps and previous nights' sleep have been like. She will sometimes sleep until 7:30 or 8:00 in the mornings, but is usually up around 7:00 a.m. I've thought of keeping her up later at night, especially since it stays light so long at night now. We could go on walk or play outside after supper instead of moving right to bath and bed. But, since the current routine seems to work, I hate to mess with it, kwim? Maybe you could try a later bedtime, and see how it works. If he doesn't react positively, you can always try to move him back to the 7:00 time. This probably wasn't a very helpful response. Sorry!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

tigalig Guest

Our 3yo ds is in bed by 8:00 or 8:30 because DH is not home until 7:00 and I want them to have time together. Our 1yo dd is in bed by 7:00 and she barely gets to see her daddy. :(

Even with that bedtime, however, our ds is often awake and singing, talking, playing until 9, 10 or later (gasp!). As long as he is not being disruptive, I don't care that he plays quietly in his room (in his bed) until he's ready. What I have realized is that if he takes a late nap, then his bedtime can be on schedule, but his little eyes won't cooperate until later. So I'm in the process now of moving up his afternoon (and only) nap to right after lunchtime, hoping that he'll be awake by 3 and be ready for bed when it's time.

I think some children do need less sleep than others, but I would readjust naps, etc. before caving in on bedtime.

amp Guest

You could just try it a time or two and see how it goes. Actually, a time or two isn't really going to be clear, but YKWIM. Colwyn can't tell time, so if he's generally a good sleeper, try pushing the time back and see what happens. If it doesn't work, you can go back to the other time. We've done this, and DS's bedtime is now an hour later than it was around the time he was one.

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Now DDs a bit older if she takes a nap she won't go to sleep until really late. I tried putting her in bed at the same time and she either chats happily or more often than not will call me in a hundred times. If she doesn't nap she still goes to bed at 7.30 and is usually asleep by 8pm. It's a real transition time for us, I'm not really ready to give up the nap but DD won't go down unless I drive somewhere and transfer her, then her bedtime is later. Maybe Colwyn is going through this already. If he's happy to go to bed later and you don't mind, try it for a while and see how he is the next day. At that age if I put DD down any later she would take the same amount of time to go to sleep and get less sleep and be miserable. It changes all the time!
    Sorry if I rambled

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I was going to keep Colwyn up a little later tonight, but he was exhausted, so we put him to bed at about 7:10pm. He cried a few times (we go in each time he cries), and he finally fell asleep after about 20 minutes (which, coincidentally, was a half hour after giving him Tylenol). Maybe it is just teething after all.

Colwyn still loves his naps. I try to put him down at 1:00pm every day, but sometimes it's a struggle keeping him awake that long. If he's had a really rough night (been up late and gotten up early), he'll even take two naps. And god forbid I try to take him somewhere in the car after about 10:30am.. he's out like a light. Luckily we never go very far and I can wake him up within a few minutes of him falling asleep.