Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    nitaghei Guest

Default RE: Miniature Schnauzer - Good kid dog?

Jen,

Have to agree with PPs - Schnauzer are terriers - the only group where scrapping in the ring is not just accepted - but encouraged. I would generally steer away from terriers. But then, I'm not a terrier fan. :) Wheatons are about the only terriers that are "soft" - but they require a ton of grooming.

Have you researched some of the toy dogs? Papillions are wonderful, wonderful dogs!! I also love Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Possibly a French Bulldog.

Maybe a Boston terrier? Every single one I've met is a total sweetheart.

Even a mini Poodle won't be bad - if you're willing to make a trip to the groomer every 6-8 weeks. I keep my PWD (similar coat, but about as big as a standard Poodle)in a short retreiver clip, and brushing her a couple of times a week (about 10 minutes) is all she needs. Though keep in mind I had a cocker before - which is a seriously high need breed - so my starting reference point is somewhat skewed!

One breed that jumped into mind - and these are really hard to find - are Welsh Springer Spaniels. They have a relatively low maintanence coat (NOT a cocker coat) and wonderful temperament, in general. Just need brushing once a week, no real trimming. And they have this amazing coat where all the mud just falls right off when it dries. They are sort of high energy, but nothing like an English cocker or an English Springer. Another possibility, if you like spaniels, is a Field Spaniel - all the great child-friendly stuff without the cocker coat. Again, not easy to find.

Would you consider a larger dog like a greyhound?

HTH - and I'll come back to add to this if I think of other breeds.

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

hjdong Guest

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question. All our dogs, being pound dogs, are spayed/neutered, but they were also all done as adilts. Would this affect the females being more tolerant than males or is this just a luck of the draw in our house?

westgre Guest

It could possibly contribute. Typically, the testosterone contributes to aggression and dominance in intact males. Once you castrate, the testosterone is removed, but some of the aggression/dominance could also be a learned behavior, which would not be modified by castration. Similar to when people ask if urine marking territory in the house will stop if they castrate their adult male. Not necessarily because some of that could be behavioral.

Gretchen & Lyra (12/30/02)

nitaghei Guest

Sorry - not starting an argument, but the whole hybrid vigor thing in dogs is very much an open question, scientifically speaking. Simple fact is that there is very little health information on mixed breeds, period.

One thing to keep in mind is that, by and large, ONLY purebreds are tested for genetic diseases, and their breed clubs try to maintain some kind of record (know this for a fact for the PWDCA). How many people do you know who test their mix-breeds for CHD or PRA or anything else? The only people I know who OFA their mixed breed dogs are serious competitors in agility - not exactly run of the mill pet owners.

I don't think a lot of money necessarily means a good dog. What matters is not the price - but the committment of the breeder to the welfare of the dogs and the breed. There are pet stores that charge outrageous amounts for either mixed breed puppies (shi-poos and their ilk) or popular dogs like cockers. I know for a fact that you can get a very nice cocker puppy with all genetic testing done from a good breeder for less than what a pet store charges for a puppy-milled cocker. Problem is that you have to wait for a nice pup and convince the breeder that you'll provide a good home.

I've done both - adopted a rescue (my cocker) and got a dog from a breeder (my PWD). My cocker was my great, once in a life time dog. But having a good breeder to depend on is an incredibly valuable resource. Heck, my PWD's breeder even found recommendations for vet opthamalogists for my cocker! Even though I remain committed to rescue, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be going to a breeder for my next dog.

Sorry - this is a complete hijack of Jen's thread. But I really do worry about people paying a ton of $$ for mixed breeds - such as the now popular "doodles" - when they would be just as well off getting a dog from the shelter. Really, if you want a mix, the way to go is a shelter or rescue. If you want a pure-bred, like Jen does - research the breed and breeder, ask a lot of questions and be prepared to wait for the "perfect-for-you" puppy.

Again, this is not a flame, or an attempt to start an argument. Just providing perspective.

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

One more dog to consider would be a beagle-mine is amazing with kids. I know beagles have the reputation of being barky, but mine is not at all-only if someone comes to the door. He does shed, but not too badly and they meet your size requirement.
    Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

raynjen Guest

Actually Beagles are our other main choice. My only concern with them is their reputation as 'escape artists'. We will be moving on base where we will have a fenced yard but not be allowed to 'alter' the yard (i.e. add a concrete base to the fence to keep a digger in). We are looking at breeder rescue groups as well as buying a an older dog from a breeder (I know they are rare, but we are willing to wait for a dog that doesn't 'pan out' as a show dog). Obviously we would rather not pay $1200, but we have the money for a dog set aside.

Both my husband and I had dogs as kids and as adults and we really want that experience for our daughter. However, we are not buying a puppy 'for the kids', this will be a family dog that goes with us on all our trips. That is why we want a smaller dog - she/he will go with my daughter and I on extended trips to relative's houses when my husband deploys. I think a toy breed will be too small, our daughter is still a preschooler and, despite education, will probably be too rough for a tiny dog (heck, she is too rough on herself, she inherited her mother's clumsiness =) )

This is a really great thread, it is good to get everyone's first hand comments!

Jen in Okinawa
    T - 5 days to 3 1/2!

I am also flabbergasted and saddened at what people are doing in "breeding" the mixed breed dogs and selling them for insane amounts of money. I personally don't get it. Labradoodles are popping up all over at our dog parks and it is shocking how much people are paying. Although one of them is our dog's favorite playmate. Go to the pound, there are a million "labradoodles" or labra? that are great dogs that need homes. And puppy mills and pet stores that sell puppies, versus keeping a list of reputable breeders, are a pet peeve. I would also consider an adult dog too. After my senior citizen dog from childhood passed away, we adopted a senior Collie from rescue. Then Daisy, as an adult, but not a senior, from the shelter and now our newest addition at just under a year old when we got her. We haven't had any behavior problems at all from the adult dogs, even without knowing their background. Our neighbors have a wonderful Great Pyrennes from a breeder after he didn't make the cut in their breeding program. Great gentle giant though.

We live in a neighborhood with a ton of Goldens, Labs, Bernese Mt. Dogs, and our pretty girls, but mutts. People are always asking us what breed Daisy is and being surprised she is a "mutt" lab mix from a rural animal shelter. I'll post a picture of the girls for fun. Hope the original poster doesn't mind the hijack. I've known some cute and very nice beagles too.

Kimberly
    DS 3/18/04
    and "the girls"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2