Allison--

A lot of what the PP's have written makes great sense. I personally don't think you are "babying" Matthew either. You do what's best for him, and let the rest fall where it may...

FWIW, here's how things went with Jackson...

1) Crib: He never tried to escape and slept like a log in it. We moved him to a "big boy bed" at 2 1/2 because he is quite tall for his age, and he really got to be too long and too heavy to be in the crib any longer. I truly miss it (and miss my sleep :-))

2) Highchair: If Matthew is pulled up to the table, and is comfortable, then keep on doing it. I miss the highchair... Jack got to be too tall for his highchair a few months after his 2nd birthday, and we moved him to a Cushie Booster at the table (in an armchair--very important deterrent to the Wandering Diner Syndrome!)

3) Rocking Chair: We still have the glider in Jack's room to read stories at night. Matthew will let you know when he is tired of snuggle time (hopefully not for a long while!)

4) Potty Training: If Matthew is not showing any interest in the potty, and he is hiding to poop, you are most likely right in that he is not ready. I know our pediatrician said at Jack's 3yr. check-up that it happens when it happens, and that trying to "advance" it will just backfire. Trust me--I work at a daycare, and I've seen the ill effects of overbearing potty-training parents. It's not pretty...

Good luck to you! It seems that your "mommy instinct" is right on target!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

Who's the Biggest Boy? It's Jackson!
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020430/1/2/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]