hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default When did your toddler notice his/her shadow?

Payton keeps freaking me out with things I don't expect. Sunday he looked over at the wall while I was changing his clothes and kept pointing and saying, "Payton." Took me a few times-- then I pointed to my shadow and he said, "Mommy" like, "Duh, Mommy, that's your shadow." We just repeated it to show DH and he was right on again.

So, is this an accidental thing and he'll forget & relearn it, or has he really discovered his shadow? When did your toddler notice his or hers? I'm so not ready for this stuff!
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: When did your toddler notice his/her shadow?

Nick noticed his last summer and he was cracking me up trying to look at it. Of course it kept moving as he was turning around to look at it-he was like a dog trying to catch his tail!

Nick also has a small birthmark on one of his cheeks and he has just noticed it. Now everytime he goes by a mirror he stops and turns his head from side to side comparing it to the cheeck w/o the mark. I keep waiting for him to bring it up to me, but he hasn't.

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Chatted with the sitter this morning-- apparently they read a book about shadows a little while ago. He's a sponge!

I've got a monster mole (well, size of a Cocoa Krispie anyway) on my arm. Payton got very interested in it so I told him what it was. Now he notices EVERYbody's moles and clearly says "Mole!" when he points them out :)
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It was either earlier this year or late last year, so at around Payton's age. It's so sweet to watch her try to find and catch them. Sometimes she even talks to them - "Bye Kitty Shadow!" or "Let's go Daddy and Mommy Shadow!" or "Where did Sarah Shadow go?" Sarah hasn't forgotten hers yet, so maybe Payton won't either. One thing Sarah loves is outlining shadows of herself, us or any objects in sidewalk chalk. The outlines of people are fun to color and decorate, too.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

eb1 is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My DS was 11 or 12 months...he was fascinated with his shadow on the carpet (didn't know what it was, clearly) and DH showed him how to wave to it, etc. I guess they spent quite some time that afternoon playing with it, and he "got" it that day. Now at 14 months he says "Shadow, hi!" and waves at it.

Judegirl Guest

I have dd on video noticing hers for the first time a couple of months ago - she was trying alternatively to outrun it and sneak up on it, and laughing up a storm. It was adorable.

:)
    Jude

DD found hers a couple of months ago. She was walking and noticed it in front of her. She couldn't take her eyes off it.

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://lilypie.com/days/060228/3/21/1/-5/.png

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That is incredibly cute! I don't think DS has noticed his, though.

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!