Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default RE: Do you spell in front of your toddler?

We are totally into the alternate descriptors idea, DH just CAN'T spell. Among LOTS of others, we regularly use things like "frozen dairy confection" and "outdoor recreational facility". Maybe that explains DS's varied vocabulary...
    Susan

Thatcher Bennett 9/01
    Ava Grace 9/07

darby24 Guest

Yup.

We call the pacifier (soother) a "do" And we had taken to spelling it out "D - O". Last week my mom asked my sister "Do you want to pass me the D O?" when Jack was ready for a nap. Well he then started chanting D O D O. Afterward I asked him if he has his Do and he responded with "No, D O". So I guess he thinks we just call it a D O.

That's about the only word we spell. Oh we do spell W A L K but that's to keep the dog from getting excited. She hasn't learned to spell yet!

s_gosney Guest

I try to do this...subtle hints without saying the actual word, but unfortunately dh is a little dense sometimes, and he just blurts out "go to the park? Hmm...no, I don't think so." ARGH!

We spell A LOT these days. And then when the word is just too long to spell, we use pig latin.

:-)

Vivian
    Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
    www.sydneylin.cjb.net (updated 5/21/04 but major overhaul coming soon!)

We spell or use descriptive words, ice cream is "frozen dairy food" and cookie is "round thing with chips". I wonder when she'll figure out what we're talking about!

Lisa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3