Default Anyone give their toddler Benefiber for constipation?

I was just wondering how much you give, if it works and if there are any side effects. From what I read it's a natural form of fiber.

Any info would be great!
    Lisa

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone give their toddler Benefiber for constipation?

I've never given DD benefiber but do use milk of magnesia regularly as per her ped as she's had a chronic constipation problem since a really young age.

We give DS about a teaspoon in a glass of water every day if I remember. It does seem to help and we haven't noticed any side effects. I haven't done it for awhile because he has been going ok - for him at least!

No, but thought I'd share our trick....

I add flaxseed oil to his milk, or if he really needs a fiber boost, I add it to a smoothie. TJ's strawberry yogurt blended w/their frozen fruit medley (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries.) I *think* 1/4 cup of the berries has 6 grams of fiber! The flaxseed really helps keep him regular and the smoothies are super tasty!

hjdong Guest

We were given a rx for something that I think is basically the same thing. It dissolves in water, he drinks it. We've only had to use it once - we were told to give one dose a day after he has skipped his normal pattern for 3 days or until it works. After 3 days, proceed to the Dr., do not pass go. Like I said, we only had to use it one time.

I second the smoothies, and I add wheat germ as well. Mandarin oranges seem to work miracles (perhaps not so much for the amount of fiber, which is good, but for the vast quantities DS will eat). Also, limit milk intake to the bare minimum, it's constipating and DS loves it.

HTH,

momtoemma Guest

Yes! We've been giving our older DD a teaspoon of benefiber for over a year now (I'm afraid to stop doing it for fear things will revert back to the chronic constipation). At first, we mixed it in with yogurt or some other food item, but lately, we've just been stirring it in with her morning glass of milk. I haven't noticed any side effects either, and DD has a much easier time going to the bathroom.

I've never used that, but giving Miriam some watered-down prune juice does the trick for us.

Sheila
    Mother of Miriam, 03/10/03 and
    Gabriel, 12/30/04