Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What are your thoughts on using food as a potty training reward?

We are starting to navigate potty territory, and I'm not sure what to think about rewards. I'm a recovered anorexic, so I'm leery about using food as a reward. I don't want to set up DD for food isses (good job = food, we eat special foods when we are happy, etc.) of her own, so I've tried to be really careful about letting her regulate her intake when it comes to meals and snacks. But, I know lots of moms who have used M&M's, Skittles, and other foods successfully as potty rewards. Then again, I know some who have used other tangible rewards, just not food. And, DD used the potty twice this morning without rewards at all (just a lot of hugs and excitement from Mommy :-)), so I would love it if we could do this potty thing with intrinsic motivation alone. I'm curious to see what others have done, and what your opinions are on this. Thanks!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

lizamann Guest

Default RE: What are your thoughts on using food as a potty training reward?

We haven't really gotten into potty territory too much so I have no specific advice for you there. But if you don't want to use food rewards, then don't! In fact, as you are experiencing, you don't need any reward at all. As I said, we haven't potty trained yet, or even looked into it, but I have no plans on using rewards because that just isn't my style.

hjdong Guest

I swore, swore, swore, I would not use rewards for potty training (my thought being that when he was ready, he would be ready without any reward). Until he started to withold his poop and got seriously constipated. M&Ms became my friend - my really good friend. Now that he's been potty trained for a while, I'm withdrawing their use. I told him he was too big to get treats for poops in the potty. I expected a fight, but he went for it. He still gets an occasionally treat for going potty without any help from me.

So, my advice would be to be flexible. If you don't want to, don't. But be flexible enough to recognize when it's not working (preferably before medical intervention is necessary - unlike me!).

HTH,

bluej Guest

I agree with Holly, be flexible. So much of it depends on the child really. My daughter just wanted pretty panties, that's all it took to potty train her. Food, stickers, etc didn't work with my DS#1 (uh duh, more of a reflection that he wasn't ready...took me a couple of weeks to figure that out). But then when he saw a dump truck he really wanted I told him I would buy it as soon as he started using the potty and that's what worked with him. If so far your DD is encouraged by your enthusiasm, I would stick with that. Good Luck!

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS just potty trained and we used a combination of things. We found one big thing he REALLY wanted (a little tikes play house) and said we'd get it when he used the potty all the time. This really got the ball rolling. Each time he used the potty we used a combination of emotional rewards (hugs, kisses, dances, "we're so proud of you", etc.) and M&Ms. We didn't need to use the M&Ms all the time, nor did we, but it was a great way to get him in the potty when he was a little hesitant or involved in something else, but obviously needed to go to avoid an accident (especially the first few days). The M&Ms were also a GREAT motivating factor to get him to poop in the potty. We had a couple of issues with that.

I'd see what works for you and DD. Not all kids need/want/respond to M&Ms. But I wouldn't get worked up into a lather if that's what it takes to finish the process. Just for perspective, we used (way)less than 2 1.69 ounce bags (the size at the grocery checkour) of M&Ms for the entire process, and that includes the ones DD ate to celebrate with DS.

HTH,
    Sarah
    Alex 3/2002
    Catherine 8/2003

I have two that are trained and both of them had different motivators. Stickers were a big one for us. ie let her pick out some stickers she loves and then track her progress. We increased the challenges as she progressed and did have a reward when she went a week with no accidents. We did a small toy the dollar store was great! So at first we gave her a sticker everytime she went. After a while we told her a sticker was for a whole day without any accidents. Then a week. Hugs and kisses, calls to daddy/grandma etc. were also great motivators. (I always told people in advance to expect calls so they weren't taken off guard and could be really excited)

My son rewards weren't good because if the rewards stopped so did the potty going. So it was a bit more of a challenge and took alot more verbal coaching and learning time, but luckily it was only pee we were dealing with.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that there are lots of ways to train and lots of reward sysytems, so if you don't want to do food that totally fine. If you do thats fine too.

Cindy

I am no expert here but just wanted to share a funny. Everytime Ryan goes on the potty, he announces "candy time" because we do the one "candy" (those chewy fruit snacks) for pee and two for poopy. :)

I did it the first few times he did it along with our little potty dance we both do together and now he is hooked.

Good luck with it!
    Mom to R and R

We didn't with peeing since she did it on her own and didn't need any motivation, but with pooping she was more reluctant so we tried jelly beans and it worked for like a week. Then it back fired big time. I wish I hadn't even started using them, and stuck to letting going poop in the potty be a personal achievement in itself, like peeing in the potty was for her.

But I think it depends on the child and how well they respond to rewards.

Lisa

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, I would start simply and work from there. If she is doing it without rewards, then go with that! If she needs motivation down the road, then find something that excites her. We did a sticker chart, but I introduced it on the day I decided to start with the potty. He probably didn't really need it as he trained that morning we started, but I had to keep the stickers going for a while.

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

tigalig Guest

We rewarded with stickers on a chart and the chart was the prize! He was just excited to fill his chart with stickers. Now we reward model behavior with stickers on a chart and the charts are "cashed" in for something like a balloon, ice cream treat at the local BR, or extended play time. HTH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast