Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Does your toddler enjoy (and pay attention to) storytime?

There's an adorable children's bookstore just north of me that has storytimes every day at the perfect time for DS. I am hesitating going only because I don't know whether he will really get anything out of it. Anyone go to story time regularly? How old is your kiddo?

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

mattiew Guest

Default RE: Does your toddler enjoy (and pay attention to) storytime?

I took DD to storytime a couple of times before she turned 2...sometimes she liked it and other times she wasn't very interested. I would have taken her more often but it just didn't fit into our schedule. I keep meaning to start taking her again : ) She does have story time at her Parent's Day Out class and I know she loves it! She talks about the books they read/songs they sing and her teachers tell me she can't wait for the book teacher to come. It's free so I say give it a try and don't give up if he doesn't like it the first time; it may take a few tries.

HTH!
    Carrie

amp Guest

NO! I really wish he would like storytime, as he loves reading books w/ me at home, but at storytime, it's chaos and he IS the chaos. He tends to ignore the story and be whining about snacks or running around grabbing stuff from shelves, etc. I keep trying to expose him to it ever few weeks, in hopes that it will become for familiar and he will "get it" and then want to pay attention, but so far, no luck.

And obviously, Jake and Matthew are very close in age.

FWIW, I still try to attempt it when we have time, but don't *make* time, IYKWIM. It gets us out of the house when we're bored, but will choose other stuff if it's available.

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been taking both my kids to storytimes at the library since they were 6 months old or younger. Our library has programs tailored to different age groups, so they did things to keep little one's attention. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't, but everyone in the class had days like that. As the kids got older, they started to pay attention more and fool around less. Now, both my kids go and love it, and actually pay attention the vast majority of the time. I would strongly recommend it, especially if the storytime is either broken down by age or specifically aimed at the toddler/preschool set.

HTH,
    Sarah
    Alex 3/2002
    Catherine 8/2003

pixelprincess Guest

Not really! We have been going since he was 4 months old to our public library. The storytime is really huge so it can be a zoo. If we get a seat up front we have better luck. Our librarian breaks out into songs when it gets too crazy. Lately, I have had some luck with snacks to keep him seated, We still get a lot out of it and enjoy picking new books for reading at home every week. DS is almost two.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It must depend on your child's personality. It's part of our schedule around here...:) DD loves to watch other kids - she sits and just absorbs everything that happens. She's been going to our library's weekly storytime for toddlers (12-30 months) since she turned one. They sing lots of songs, and she remembers them and sings them around the house.

This a.m. when she woke up, I went into her room and said, "Today we have to get dressed early so we can go to the ...." and she said "library". (Tuesday is storytime). She loves it!

I think it depends on the personality of the storyteller and the age-appropriateness of the books. It helps a lot if they use puppets and felt pieces and music in addition to books to keep the little ones' attention. I say give it a try and if it doesn't work out, look around for another one.

Nope! We have gone to Borders and B & N for storytime and Ryan just enjoys running off. He likes the dancing part of it and when they involve the kids in the singing but the actual story itself, he does not sit still for. They did read "Moo Ba La La La" last time so he was a big shot and recited the book with her. :)

What adorable store are you talking about? I picture something like in the Meg Ryan movie where she owned that great bookstore that Tom Hanks knocked down (Who's got mail?).
    Mom to R and R

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It is kind of like that, in an unurban sort of way. It's Hobbit Hall, right in the older part of Roswell, off the area they call "the square." It is down the street from Teddy Roosevelt's wife's house! Here's a bad pic:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27393.jpg

They evidently have nearly 30,000 books and crafts--they have storytime Mon through Thurs and Sat at 10:30. If you ever want to go on Mondays or Wednesdays, give us a ring!

www.hobbithall.com

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kai goes, and enjoys it. but I'd say his least favorite part is when they read the books! (and he loves reading at home) He likes the songs, and they show a little 3-5 minute movie at ours. Sometimes he behaves for the whole thing, other times I can't keep him still. On Tuesday he was the ONLY child who wouldn't sit still, so it was a little embarassing. Some weeks he is a perfect angel. I never know what I'm going to get from him when we go!

ETA: Oh and he loves when they stick little things to the felt board and we either count them and sing ("One little, two little, three little kittens...etc) or if they tell a story along with it (Three Little pigs, Little Boy Blue, etc). But for some reason them holding up a book in front of the room does not hold his attention. I think when we read to him at home he really likes to look at the pictures, and it's too hard to see them at storytime.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast