Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    amp Guest

Default RE: Parents in Hot Climates: Playing Outside

I'm finding that *I'm* having a lot of trouble dealing w/ the sun and the heat while pg. I don't know what it is, but I feel like crap if it's even remotely hot or humid outside. So we just try to limit out outdoor stuff to evenings, earlier mornings, or at least to the shade or to just a few days of the week. Otherwise, the heat is going to kill me! And I am NOT putting on a bathing suit if I have any say in it, althought the pool sounds so unbelievably inviting!

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Andrea,

I just throw a t-shirt over my swimsuit for everyone's benefit. I love going to the pool--even the threat of my colleague's seeing me in my suit (we go to the university pool) doesn't keep me away, LOL! That said, the hot weather is bothering me much more than it did during my first pregnancy, so I totally understand!

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks, Claire! I know that you understand how oppressive the weather can be here! We've been going to the pool quite a bit--and Ellie has a water table. That said, I think you're right about the heat not bothering Ellie as much--I think since I'm preggo, it's been bothering me a lot, LOL!

stella is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That period in my life was exactly when we joined the country club. I was pregnant, had a 1 year old, was living in a studio apartment with 3 dogs, ds, dh and me, while we waited for our "new" house to be made fit to live in. I was unwavering in my insistence that we (ds and I) have somewhere to go during that long, hot Texas summer.

I did NOT look good in my bathing suit. Kind of like a fat dumpling, but I was a brown dumpling by the end of the summer and my ds would nap after a swim.

I remember those days well! Lately it seems like swimming just winds my two up! Two children is a wonderful blessing, but enjoy your mobility with one!! Even if you are hot and exhausted!

Good Luck Pregnant Mamas - try to stay cool!
    Claire

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We never get that kind of heat but if it gets really hot we go up to the mall where they have a pet shop. DD loves looking at the fish and puppies and bunnies and mice. It's also a bit of a walk through the mall to get there so she uses up energy running through the mall.

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've been letting Kai play with a bucket of beans on the balcony, and now he's always running over to the door wanting to go out and yelling "beans! beans! BEEEEAAAANNNNNNSSSSSS!"
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Jill, we have indoor play center here that you have to pay each time (there might be a monthly rate or something, I don't know) and they have one of those big bouncing things, and a ball pit, and a bunch of those play structures like you can buy for your yard, and a bunch of riding toys, and some bigger slides and play structures. They seem to be popping up all around us laetly, I know of about 4 of them. The one I've been to costs $7 per adult (weird, I guess they don't want you bringing five of your best friends and one kid and taking up a bunch of space and only paying $7).

Another thing, do you have an IKEA near you? For the play area the kids have to be potty-trained to use it, but the store itself is like one big playground. I have brought DS there and let him run around, and in the kid's furniture section, there is some stuff out that they can play with. And you can eat there, and they have awesome family bathrooms.

Chuck E. Cheese, you can go in and just let your child play, don't even have to buy anything except maybe a few tokens. We have used our Chuck E. Cheese for playgroup when it has been raining out.

Bookstores and toy stores often have little play areas, train tables, etc. Kai also loves to go to the library, and he doesn't have to be real quiet in the children's section, at least.

I can't believe your mall doesn't have a play area. Ours has a little train and a two-story carousel! (The carousel is new) The play area always seems to wild for my taste though...Kai always gets trampled by wild bigger kids.

ETA: Just reading Wendy's post, I can usually kill about 30-45 minutes showing Kai the various living creatures at Petsmart or Petco. Petco had turtles last time I was there and Kai was so happy!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

I think I'll check out Petco now for some easy entertainment! The hard part for me is having the baby now. Our library won't let you bring a baby when they have the toddler storytime stuff or other activities.

We finally get our Ikea here at the end of the month but that stinks they have to be potty trained to just play in the kids area! Geez, even if it's just for 30 mintues that would be great.
    Mom to R and R

sweetbasil Guest

We've been doing lots of playdates w/other friends...just Tuesday, we went over to a preschool classmate of K's, and they had a slip-n-slide set up in the backyard. We're in Houston, so it was 98 that afternoon, but we all had a blast. The mommies watched/helped, but I would've loved to join in if I could've ;)

K's preschool was offering a music/theater class this summer, so he's done that during this week (from 9-12noon) and loving it. We've enjoyed freezing yogurt into popsicle molds and having them on the back porch, giving the boys the hose and letting them squirt each other, going to our neighborhood pool, my parents' pool, and friends' pools-- then trading and having friends come over here for playdates/lunch.

I hope you all find some fun, not-so-warm things to do, that are fun for both of you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2