Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Parents in Hot Climates: Playing Outside

We live in a climate where it is uncomfortable to be outside (except in the swimming pool) from about 9 am-7 pm during the summer months (April-late September, LOL). As a result, I feel as if Ellie plays indoors most of the time (we do go to the pool quite a bit). Unfortunately we don't have a play area at our local mall (I think they may be building one though, fingers crossed). DH, Ellie, and I often go on walks in the evening. Is this your experience as well? What typical activities do you do in the summer?

I don't mind hot weather, but it's really uncomfortable (around 97 degrees today) and I just can't see putting Ellie (or me, LOL) through that.

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Parents in Hot Climates: Playing Outside

We're struggling with this as well. In our situation, where we have shade we have mosquitos due to the creek on our lot, so it's either blazing sun or bug repellent.

We do have a small pool in the backyard with a climber that we use in the mornings, then if we can we go to our local playground which is shaded, depending on how hot it is. DS *really* seems to need to be outdoors, so we stay in the shade and apply bug repellent if necessary (the deet-free kind).

That is actually why I posted the question about storytime, because it seems like we're always looking for something to do out of the heat as well. I'm also looking at ways to do art neatly in a small house. HA! I will also be going to museums on kids days and that sort of thing. It's expensive, but every once in a while it will be ok.

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

I'm so there with you. Yesterday it reached 110, today 107. Needless to say we are staying indoors.

I signed DD up for Gymboree and a few other classes and our theatre has kids movies playing (we've seen Garfield and Clifford so far) so that's something to check out, I know lots of theatres have kid's movie specials. Our play group meets more often and we plan more playdates too.

I got a big clear tub (the kind that go under the bed) and filled it with dried beans for her to play with on the kitchen floor. She has been having fun with that. It's kind of like an indoor sand play area, just easier to clean up after! I also hate to admit, but our tv time goes up in the summer. It's all I can do to keep sane :-)!

We take DD to the park to play around 7 pm. She doesn't go to bed until 9:30, so it's a perfect time to let her run around and burn up that energy for an hour.

If we do outdoor play in the morning it always involves water and I keep a spray bottle with water in it to mist her down every 10 or so mintues. 95 degrees is out limit - if it's over that we stay in. Of course we live in a dry climate so 95 isn't so bad, it would feel much worse if we had humidity.

I hope some others will have some ideas too, because we're looking for ways to fill our days!

Lisa

>I got a big clear tub (the kind that go under the bed) and
    >filled it with dried beans for her to play with on the kitchen
    >floor. She has been having fun with that. It's kind of like
    >an indoor sand play area, just easier to clean up after! I
    >also hate to admit, but our tv time goes up in the summer.
    >It's all I can do to keep sane :-)!

Lisa--what an awesome idea about the beans! I am going to use your idea--it will be perfect! Ellie loves making a mess, LOL!

And I am glad to hear another mom say that about tv time--b/c I've been feeling the same way!

Allison,

That's why we went to storytime at the library last week (our first time). We run errands, go to the pool, and Ellie goes to Mother's Day Out on Fridays, but I am trying to think of other fun activities for both of us! This morning, we both took a nap together, LOL!

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

110 degrees????? OMG! And I thought I had something to complain about when we hit 87 with high humidity!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just called today to sign us up for a free "try it and see" session at a children's gym (like Gymboree). If it's fun and seems worth the money, I may sign us up for the next 7 weeks (one class per week, and one hour of open gym time, also). We are doing Mom and Me swimming lessons in July. Otherwise, we pretty much do as you do and go out early in the mornings and late in the afternoons. I try to involve water if we are playing outside (wading pool, sprinkler, hose). We went to HobbyTownUSA last week and played with the trains for an hour. That was free, fun and cool!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

hjdong Guest

We do a lot of activities in the bathtub (painting with bah soaps, coloring with bath crayons, and actually bathing). And we up our craft activities radically. So far this year (closer to 3), I'm finding it sooo much easier than last year, because he can actually do the crafts.

Last year, we spent a lot of time at children's museum. They're a bit of a drive for us, but we got a membership which was worth it for the summer, even with the drive. If you have one within a reasonable drive - it doesn't even have to be big - they are worth it. Membership generally isn't much, they're children's musuems, so your child is expected to run somewhat wild, and even the small ones have a lot of stuff. And they pay for the a/c.

We go to other people's houses and have them come to ours. It sounds silly, but playing with each other is so much more tiring than playing by themselves. Either the excitement of the new toys or the stress of having to share seems to help in the tiring process.

HTH,

The 90+ degree heat got to me and I signed up DD for music and art classes at Gymboree. They were running a special on the price and giving gymbucks. And now we go to the Gymbo playgym 3x a week. We do 2 playgroups and she plays at the gym daycare while I work out. I also take her to a drop-in art place where she can be really messy. I'm also going to try out the free movies for kids at a movie theater near us. A couple of my friends brought their toddlers and sat in the very front row. When the kids were restless, they could run around in front and then come back for popcorn. And when we've got nowhere else to go, I've got a water table set up on a shady porch and sprinklers at the ready. DD can have her water fun while I try to keep cool in the shade. I also pump anyone I know for info about shady parks with equipment suitable for toddlers.

But there is just no getting around walking the dogs in the full sun. But DD gets a nice shady ride in her stroller.

stella is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

hi Jill!

We have all the heat you do, but luckily, not the humidity, so we can be outside longer in teh mornings - it's not usually awful here until noon-ish. So they can play outside in the mornings. I usually take them to the pool 3 times a week in the evenings (after work for me, so five) and we swim til 7 or so. There's a grill, so we also try to eat at the pool (I don't know if this is an option for you).

Then at 7:30 or eight we take a neighborhood walk - Wade rides his bike and Anna rides in the stroller. Our little loop is about one mile.

Then I TRY to put them to bed at 8:30 or so, but usually they harass us in some form until 9:30 or 10. note to self - cut down on the naps!

Summer's tough - maybe try some play dates or just running around at the mall without a play area.

Also, I have noticed that my children don't really care how hot it is - they like to be outside, so if you can resign yourself to being outside, the heat probably won't bother Ellie. Just remember the sunscreen and lots of water. Also a wading pool or sprinkler is a lot of fun with the commitment of going to the pool.

HTH!
    Claire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast