Default (cross post) A no CIO sleep book for toddlers and preschoolers

"The No-Cry Sleep Solution For Toddlers and Preschoolers" - I just started reading it and am SO glad I picked it up. There is a lot of really good info in it, and some surprising study results. Since I haven't read through the entire book yet to give a complete review, there are some great reviews at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

She addresses the family bed, breastfeeding toddlers and other situations that most sleep books don't address (or if they do make you feel like a bad parent). Plus it is geared towards toddlers and preschoolers, and done so in a supportive, non-judgemental way.

HTH!
    Lisa

momtoB is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: (cross post) A no CIO sleep book for toddlers and preschoolers

Thanks for sharing the link. I've actually been meaning to get to the bookstore to take a look at this one. It's good to hear from someone who is reading it that it has useful information and it doesn't sound judgmental about different parenting choices.

DS had reflux as an infant and after he outgrew the bouncy seat he was sleeping in every night I tried to transition him to the crib (even putting it an incline) but to no avail, he just wouldn't sleep there. DH and I both work f/t and we found the only way we were going to get some sleep is by letting ds sleep with us. That way when he woke up fussing we were right there to comfort him and we could all quickly go back to sleep (his room is also across the house from us so not like it was right next door). Anyway, now he's 26mos and still sharing our bed. It would actually be fine except he's such a bed hog, lol. He's also been fighting going to sleep at night too. The funny thing is he says "night-night" and goes to our bed but wants us to lay there with him until he falls asleep. If we leave the room before he's completely out, he'll come back out to the living room to find us, sometimes trying to return to play, even though he can barely keep his eyes open. It's like he just doesn't know how to soothe himself to sleep and I can't seem to teach him which is the part that makes me feel like such a failure! We have tried some version of CIO, and putting him in his crib and staying w/him until he sleeps (about an hour later) but nothing seems to consistently work and it's such a battle.

Anyway, sorry this was so long! Thanks for the link. I am definitley heading to B&N this week to get this one as we really need the help.

Cheryl
    ds-4/21/03

Thank you for the suggestion. We don't have sleep issues but I have a friend that has had a lot of trouble with her DD and I passed it on to her. I am sure she is going to be really happy to read this book...
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I may have to check it out if our sleep issues continue. (We've had 3-4 better nights in a row, so hopefully things will get easier!) Not that I've spent too much time looking into/reading sleep books, but I'm glad to see one that might apply to a still co-sleeping (which we're fine with) toddler. :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

valeriec Guest

Thanks for the recommendation. I read her first book and enjoyed it. We really want to transition DD to her bed in HER room, and so far it is not working out. We co-sleep and she will sleep on the floor in our room, but she won't stay in her own room yet.