Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    phirey Guest

Default UPDATE: Moms of two -- what do you drive?

WooHoo! Just ordered a Volvo V70 in Ruby Red Metallic! :-) Anyone considering a Volvo might want to know that the free maintenence for 3/36000 is no longer being offered on the 2006s. So it literally pays to get a 2005. Anyway, I feel like we got a great deal on a wagon with tons of bells & whistles. Somehow we're almost $2000 under Edmunds "TMV." Plus, the dealer pointed out that if you're a AAA member, there's another $500 "mail-in rebate." Soooo ... Volvo it is!

Anyway, the RA fits beind the passenger -- a little tighter than we'd like, but it fits. It also fit in the Saab 9-5 wagon, also being offered at a great price right now with the GM "employee pricing."

It's having to be brought in form out of state, so I'll get it sometime next week. :)

Thanks everybody!

I have my own car saga, and didn't want to hijak the other thread over there on the Babies board...

I really would prefer a sedan or wagon, since DH already has a gas guzzler. I don't want a minivan. I know a minivan or 7-seat SUV would do the trick, but I'm just wondering in anyone has managed to juggle two carseats in the back of a sedan or wagon -- one of them rearfacing outboard?

If you've read this far and care to answer, please include where/how your carseats are installed.

stella is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Moms of two -- what do you drive?

I have two in carseats and I drive a Honda Pilot. I LOVE my car. I've only had it 6 weeks. It has a 3rd row, but I haven't used it because teh 2 carseats in the 2nd row make it inaccessible. Both of my children are in outboard convertible FF if that makes any difference.

I have thought about putting one carset in the 3rd row, but have not spent enough time "playing" with the seats and carseats to see what it would be like. It seems like we are always trying to go somewhere and I want my carseats installed.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say!

I do love my car, though, and we definitely needed the space of an SUV ofr the 2 kiddos and all their stuff.

Claire

luvmypeanut is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would think that most 4-door sedans would do the trick if you're ok with both seats in the outboard positions. We had a Mercedes E-class and were able to put a Marathon forward-facing behind the passenger seat and a Snugride behind the driver's seat. Just remember that there's not much room for the front seat to recline when you've got a rear-facing seat. Have you considered the Volvo wagon? I have a Volvo SUV and we have the Marathon FF in the middle and a Touriva RR behind the passenger seat. I didn't look at the wagon too closely but it seemed to be pretty roomy in the back.

Good luck.
    DD 4/03
    DS 2/05

luvbeinmama Guest

I drive a Saturn sedan, and have for the last 9 years. I have both seats installed in the outboard positions. DS is behind me and DD is on the passenger side. I had DS in center position until DD was born, but the back of a Saturn is narrow enough to make putting one in the center and one outboard impossible. Besides, having some space between the kids is a really good thing at times, lol! HTH!

barbarhow Guest

I have an Explorer. Both kids are RF in outboard. There is little legroom for the passenger as the MA RF takes up a tad of room. There is minimal space between the 2 seats. My neice was able to sit between the carseats for a short in town drive the other day but no one could sit there for a long trip. Way too cramped. I thin there may be a minivan in our future.
    Identical problem with my DHs Honda Accord.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
    and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

sugarsnappea Guest

I drive an Audi 100S sedan and both carseats are installed on the outboard seats. However, I had the infant seat in the middle rearfacing, next to a FPSE until Noraa hit about 12 months. We just turned her carseat from rear-facing to forward-facing in the outboard location.There isn't much room in the back for much between the 2 big carseats. I usually stash the diaper bag between them as a buffer. :)

I love my sedan, and hope to get a wagon sometime down the road as a replacement.

My SIL drives a Chevy Impala with two kids. I drove one around while my car is in the shop. It's very wide and has a huge trunk. It's definitely big enough for two kids. I think a Toyota Avalon might work well too. I'm glad that you asked this because I would like to see which sedan will transport two kids pretty well, in case we don't get a minivan.

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

phirey Guest

Default Barbarhow -- explain your accord comment, please

You said "identical problem in DH's Accord," do you mean you DO have both seats rearfacing, or are you unable to do so? The Accord and the Avalon are on our list, so that's why I want specifics.

I currently drive an Audi A4 and we've tried and tried to get DD's Roundabout to rearface outboard in anticipation of the next one, but just can't. We're planning at first to have the Snugride RF and the Roundabout FF, but then when DD#2 gets big enough, we'll move her to a Roundabout RF (I think it's too much to hope for a Marathon RF in a sedan!!!)

Thanks,

We have a Subaru Outback and two car seats: a forward facing RA behind the driver's seat and a rear facing Snugride behind the passenger seat. We would have prefered to keep DS #1 rear facing longer, but had to turn him around when his brother was born because there was no way to squeeze it in behind the driver's seat. DH has incredibly long legs and does most of the driving. When DS #2 outgrows the Snugride, we will put him in the RA, rear facing behind the passenger seat, and switch DS #1 to a new seat--something that will turn into a booster so we don't have to buy two new seats for him as he grows.

The other problem (besides not being able to fit two rear facing if one driver is tall) is that the only person who can fit between the two seats is my extremely thin mother (5' 4" and 100 lbs), and even she is quite uncomfortable. So if you ever need to give anyone a ride besides your two kids, I wouldn't recommend the Outback!

Our friends have a Camry; it easily fits a Marathon and a RA side by side with plenty of room for another passenger (or third carseat).
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

barbarhow Guest

Default RE: Barbarhow -- explain your accord comment, please

Both seats are RF-one MA and one evenflo infant seat. The "identical problem" is that there is not a huge amount of leg room for the passenger seat and there is barely room between the car seats for a passenger. If the person is petite, like my neice, it can be done. We love the Accord in every other way.
    I haven't told DH yet, but when Anna outgrows her infant seat we will be replacing with another MA. I plan to keep them both RF until they reach weight or height limits. HTH
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
    and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast