Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default I really like these videos for DS (Scholastic)

We have a box set of DVDs for DS that I just love and I wanted to share about them. I got the idea at the library, they show little 5-6 minute movies and I noticed they were Scholastic (sometimes they say Weston Woods and other names, but they are Scholastic) They are little films that are basically a popular children's book in movie form. So I asked the librarian if they had them for check out, and they did, and I liked them so much we got a box set for DS's birthday.

Each DVD has one major title on it, and then 5-6 other titles. He loves the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom video, and all of the other stories on that DVD. He also loves Goodnight Gorilla. Funny thing was I rented the Maurice Sendak one, Where the Wild Things Are, and it is also in the box set so now we own it, but he is afraid of Where the Wild Things Are, but he loves some of the other stories on there. The other stories by Maurice Sendak are a little weird, but I actually really enjoy them. There are the Nutshell Kids Stories, and In The Night Kitchen. DH says he thinks he saw these on Captain Kangaroo when he was little (he knows he saw them, not sure where).

So anyway, I've never seen these mentioned anywhere on the boards, so i thought I'd share my opinion of them. They are way more watchable for me than a Baby Einstein. Some of the stories will not work for all ages, but you can pick and choose. Also, since they are so short, it helps to reduce the amount of TV they watch, while still letting them see their favorite stories.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Default RE: I really like these videos for DS (Scholastic)

I think we had a brief discussion about these around Christmas time on the BBB. They are awesome! I NEED to find Goodnight Gorilla! DS loves that story. The Chicka Chicka Boom Boom DVD is his favorite. I have gotten these at Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Ross. Thanks for sharing that they come in a box set. That is awesome. Where did you get that?
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Amazon had two boxed sets when I looked. They were just under $100 each.
    Deb

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have the Goodnight, Gorilla one, as well as Harold and the Purple Crayon. DD loves them! Like you said, I don't mind her watching these because they are short. I think I found ours at Ross for under $10 each (DVD). Also, if you have a Scholastic book warehouse near you, they have twice-yearly sales that are HUGE! They sell all of the books, videos, etc. that they do at school bookfairs, but at 50% off, and sometimes even more deeply discounted. I know that there are warehouses in Atlanta and Memphis, and there must be others. I know that teachers can go to the sales, but I'm not sure about the general public. It would be worth checking into if you live near one.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

Just looked it up since you mentioned "my" city and here is the link:

http://teacher.scholastic.com/fairs/warehouse/

It does say that it is only for teachers and educator types only though. :(
    Mom to R and R

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was afraid of that, Debbi. Maybe we can have an Atlanta gathering at the warehouse sometime, and those of us who are teacher-types can run in and do ISO's for those who are not, lol! :-)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the recommendation! Sarah loves "Goodnight Gorilla," so we'll look into these. That reminds me, I picked up that Sendak DVD when Sarah was an infant - I'll have to dig that out because she enjoys reading "Where the Wild Things Are."

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Sounds good to me!
    Mom to R and R

valeriec Guest

We have a few of these, too. My DD loves the "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" one, and I just picked up "How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight" at Ross because that is one of her favorite books.

Melissa,

You'll have to tell me what you think of them. I was a little surprised, because the Nutshell Kids have some behavior by children that is not necessarily good, like Pierre who always say "I don't car" then he gets eaten by a lion, but then he's OK. And in Alligators All Around, they do a little phrase for each letter and some of the things are like "P, pushing people".

Then, in "In the Night Kitchen", the boy is having a dream and he floats through the air and his jammies fall off so he is naked through most of it, and fairly anatomically correct. I saw a reviewer on Amazon who freaked out because she showed it to her class without viewing it first and was worried she would get in trouble.

Personally, a cartoon showing a little boy's privates really doesn't bother me, and I think showing the somewhat less desirable behaviors in children's programs can be a good chance to show them that it is bad behavior. But I'm wondering what other people think about it.
    Deb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast