Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: I really like these videos for DS (Scholastic)

The one with Pierre was one of my absolute favorites when I was a kid. "Don't pour syrup in your hair." "I don't care." Same with Alligators All Around. These are classics! They're all from Carole King's Really Rosie album from the 70s. I've still got my original album, but don't have a record player. So you're saying they're on a video now? Does it have "Chicken Soup with Rice?" I must get it. :)

We have the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom one and DS really likes it, especially "Trashy Town." My parents found the video at Marshalls. I always turn it off before the last story though, because it bugs me (although I can't remember right now which one it is).

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Pierre and Alligators All Around and Chicken Soup with Rice are all on the Maurice Sendak Where the Wild Things Are DVD. I love the music and find myself singing it all the time. But like I said DS will not watch Where the Wild Things Are, too scary for him I guess. I personally love these stories, but I worry a little about recommending them for the reasons I mentioned, how they sometimes show less than desirable behaviors and then the whole naked boy thing. I guess I worry that they are not "PC" and I have seen comments on the boards from moms who don't like to see children behaving badly in the shows they watch. I think it's a good chance for them to see the behavior and see it corrected, like the little boy who cried wolf, KWIM?

Probably the story that annoys you on Chicka Chicka is the one with the blocks and the man and the woman toys, and they build a house, then a boat, then a train, etc. The music grates on me a bit. I love Joey Runs Away on that DVD, it is so cute - I crack up everytime the mom reads Joey's note and it says "I have runned away. Goodbye!". And the butterfly and polliwog is cute, and the one with the Bullfrog song. Kai and I sit and laugh and watch these.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

slknight is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have to get the Where the Wild Things Are DVD now. I'm so excited. I do appreciate the warning about the whole PC thing, but it's not a huge concern of mine. These were my favorites as a kid, so I want DS to be able to experience them (since I can't play my record anymore LOL.)

Interesting about the Chicka Chicka one. I think the DVDs and the tapes must be different. I generally buy DVDs, but my parents picked up the tape for us at Christmas. There isn't one about a house/boat/ train or one called Joey Runs Away. IIRC, the order is Chicka Chicka, Trashy Town, Rosie's Walk, and then the polligwog one. I think that's it. It must be the polliwog one that gets on my nerves. "When I grow up..." That voice bugs me for some reason.

hjdong Guest

It says "registered homschoolers." And so, I registered myself as a homeschooler. The way I'm reading it, by printing up a fast cart pass, you've registered yourself as a homeschooler. I have have pass that says to "please admit" me.

I just have to wait for August to see if it works.

Default sets of 3 Scholastic DVDs at Costco

I was at Costco today and saw that they had these Scholastic DVDs in sets of 3 for $17. I think there were 5 different sets. Check out your local Costco if you're looking to get some.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: sets of 3 Scholastic DVDs at Costco

Thanks! :) I forgot about these DVDs- I'll check Costco this weekend.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Wow! I'll have to check those out. We have one 3-DVD set ("The Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly") and DD loves it. We checked out "Where the Wild Things Are" and "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" from the library, and she loved everything on "Where the Wild Things Are" and some of the ones on Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (she loves "Rosie's Walk", she says "coodle-oo" for the chicken and "uh-oh" every time something bad happens to the fox).

I can't stand "Joey Runs Away". Why does this kangaroo not live in Australia? DD would probably adore it, she loves anything with animals in it (she thinks "Trashy Town" is about the rats), but she only got to see it once because it annoyed me and she was distracted at the time.

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, I love "Joey Runs Away"! Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention, what are the indicators they do not live in Australia? For some reason the part where the mom finds the note and it says "I have runned away. Goodbye!" just gets my funny bone every time.

DS LOVES Trashy Town. When we want him to help us clean up we tell him it's time to clean up Trashy Town! I have been getting the book versions of a lot of these from the library, and I don't know if it is a good thing or bad, but I really think because he is familiar with the story already, he has a little more patience for the longer books than he would have if it was an unfamiliar story. I think it's OK because I have picked up other books that he does not know the story of and they are fairly long and he has stayed with them. We;ve been working through all of the Pat Hutchins (Rosie's Walk) books we can find and also through any Lois Ehlert (Chicka Chicka Boom Boom) we can find.

His favorites right now are all of the Maurice Sendak stories that are on the Where the Wild Things Are DVD. We have the books (on our third renewal from the library!), and also as he is falling asleep he wants me to tell him the stories sometimes.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

>Oh, I love "Joey Runs Away"! Maybe I didn't pay close enough
    >attention, what are the indicators they do not live in
    >Australia?

Well, to start with, Joey plays baseball. Or at least he has a baseball bat and and ball. (He ought to be playing soccer -- baseball is pretty near unknown in Australia.) Then, the only Australian native animals in the whole thing are kangaroos and pelicans. No wombats, no emus, no possums, no goannas. (And wombats even have pouches and lovely nesting holes.) Instead we get elephants and monkeys and giraffes; what's up with that? It's hard to put a finger on it, but there's something off about the landscape, too. Not much of it looks Australian, and even though kangaroos do live in open forests, Australians tend to depict them in the desert. It just feels "off" if you're used to Australian stories about kangaroos. I just checked to make certain I wasn't hallucinating, and the author grew up in Iowa.

DD is so in love with Max that she now uses "Max" to mean "blue"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2