MMEand1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default My 3 yo DS wants to be "like a baby"

My 3 yo DS lately has started regressing and wants to be treated "like a baby" (he actually says that!). For instance, he is going through this phase (I hope it is a phase) where he will not eat. When we finally do get him to actually sit down and look at the food he will say something about wanting mom to feed him like a baby. Which I did, just to get him to eat! But it seems that more and more he wants to be "like a baby", like "sit in moms lap like a baby", or "feed me like a baby" of whatever. I do not know what brought this on. Our DD is almost 1 yo, so it's not that she is new to the family. I guess that since we had a lot of changes this past year with the addition of DD, me leaving for 4 months, me getting back home only to move cross-country within a week of my arrival and then the actual move and getting house set up here, maybe he just needs some reassurance???
    I don't know, but has anyone else experienced this or something similar?
    Thanks for your help,
    Mariah P.

Mom to 3 yo "like a baby" DS
    and almost 1 yo want to do everything that big brother does! DD
    HELP! My DC are having an identy crisis!!!!

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: My 3 yo DS wants to be "like a baby"

DS has been doing this sometimes too lately, but not all the time. Sometimes he will want me to feed him like a baby (hold a sippy cup up to his lips for him to drink like it is a bottle) and sometimes I am supposed to hold him "like a baby", cradling him in my arms. I just go along with him when he asks. He doesn't do it all the time, though, just once in a while. We haven't had any major life changes (except a new daycare 5 months ago) and no new sibling. So I would say that (hopefully) it is a phase that is somewhat normal at least for a while.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My 3.5 y.o. DS does this sometimes. Often I view it as his way of telling me that he needs more attention. He sees DD getting attention for the "baby" things that she does, and figures that it might be a good strategy. If it doesn't hurt anything, I indulge him. But if it makes life much more complicated, I tell him no and try to give him attention in a different way.

MMEand1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Glad to see we're not the only ones "like a baby"! My DS wanted to be carried to bed "like a baby" last night and also likes to be cradled. I try to show him as much, if not more, attention than the baby because she is sometimes in that "I want daddy" phase, so I can spend more time with him without neglecting him.

I don't mind indulging as long as I am not encouraging it.
    Thanks,
    Mariah P.

My 3 yo DS went through a clingy, whiny stage about 3 mos after DD arrived. NOTHING trips my trigger like whining. I actually went to see a child psychologist I know to figure out how to handle it. She said he wanted reassurance and to give it to him. That if I did that, he would back off. It worked! He also will want to roll around on the floor with the baby and be a baby and I let him and talk to him like he is a baby. Then he pops up off the floor and runs to play with his trains. Basically, if I let him know I am there for him, he is ok. With all the changes you have been through, I am surprised that the baby thing is the only behavior change you are seeing. My son does not transition well and that would have him in a tizzy:-) The psychologist also recommended that we strengthen the routines we already have and to describe the routine--"oh, now you get to have special mommy time when we read your story". So you are highlighting everything you do for him. It worked. The other thing she said is "Development is a wonderful thing. They will always grow out of it." Good luck with all of your changes!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."