diekatze Guest

Default 1 hour to fall asleep???-23 months old

I have a 23 months old son and it takes good 45 minutes or hour for him to fall asleep in his crib. He fusses sometimes but normally talks, talks and talks. He doesn't speak anything that I recognize but for 1 HOUR??? I thought I put him down too early so I let him stay 30 minutes late but same thing. 30 minutes early, samething. Gave him the bath right before the bedtime, switched the schedule a bit here and there to see whether he will fall a sleep faster... But NO...Today, it took him more than an hour...
    If I rocky him to sleep, it takes only 10-15 minutes.

I do sleep next to his crib since we have big house renovation and that might be the reason. But he never slept by himself...

I am bit worried and I do not have any idea....

Does anyone have same issue???

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: 1 hour to fall asleep???-23 months old

Unfortunately yes. DD is 31 mths and has never been very good at going to sleep. If she doesn't take a nap it's a bit quicker but the last 2 nights I haven't been able to get her to go to sleep till almost 10pm, ack. She reads, chats, gets up and comes out to say she needs a wee or a pooh, calls me or DH in. It drives me nuts. If I threaten to close her door she'll stay in bed but she still takes ages to go to sleep. If your DS goes to sleep on his own eventually, I wouldn't worry about it.

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is 29 months old and will often "rest" in her crib for up to an hour before falling asleep. That is only at bedtime, however. She usually conks right out at naptime. At bedtime, she will play her aquarium, talk to her dolls, etc., and is totally happy. Since her body is resting, and since she doesn't mind it, I'm just going to leave her alone! On nights that she is really exhausted, she goes to sleep much faster, of course.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

diekatze Guest

Yes, my DS seems to be resting in his crib too. But for the nap, I normally rock him to sleep since it takes so long for him to get to sleep.

Yesterday, it took 1.5 again for him to get to sleep at night. He rubbed his eyes, yawned etc. I gave him warm bath, read him book (he doesn't seem to like it. He loves to flip through the picture books but when I read them to him, he gets cranky...) then put him down around 7:30. He talks for 1.5 then fall asleep on his own...

Woke up at his normal 6:30...Is 9 hour sleep at night is enough for his age??? He seems to get really tired in the morning and getting him to sleep on rocking chair take only 5-10 minutes....

Thanks for your reply....

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD was like this. She'd get up early and be tired early. She has started to sleep a bit longer in the morning sometimes and then either won't nap or it's later in the morning. If she's up early she'll take an early nap. I tend to go out in the morning so she'll usually fall asleep in the car on the way home and I can transfer her to bed. She never has gone down for naps on her own, I used to nurse her to sleep, then rock, now I'll drive.

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is true for us ALL the time. I don't worry about it, but we do try to put him down earlier the next day if he was talking for a long time.

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

When Ryan first went to his big boy bed, it would take him over an hour to fall asleep so I just started moving up the time since I was so worried about him being overtired! In his crib, he probably took about 20 minutes to fall asleep. I think it is also him thinking about things in his day and he will talk to himself and sing to all of his babies in the bed now.

I wouldn't worry about it, but just account for that time to fall asleep when you put him down so he doesn't get overtired.
    Mom to R and R